Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Leaking Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Gas

Hi all. New to the Forum and looking for some advice. I have been a long time Foreign ATV/Dirtbike owner. I'm very pro american of course, but am a strong believer that you can't beat the engines in Honda's and Yamahas and that has been my experience. I have had both and never once had to replace major engine parts or anything. But when buying a utility ATV, I had a lot of recommendations to buy a Polaris - particularly the older Explorers that had the 2 cycle snowmobile engines (or at least that's what I'm told). So I did. We now have a 1998 Polaris Explorer 400. It has brand new blackwater tires that grip like glue and I have pulled rocks the size of small houses with it. Totally awed by the pulling power and sheer tank-like capability. However, the thing leaks gas like a siv and cannot seem to figure out from where. You would think it wouldn't be that hard, but as I always doing major projects around our house, I have little patience to sit around on a Saturday and pull the thing apart (I know - then why did I buy used... good question).

My question: Is this a problem any of you have heard of and might know the solution. I have already replaced what I'll refer to in my non-mechanic language) the bolt on the bottom of the bowl that sits just below the gas tank. It had a small pin hole in it, but I couldn't tell for sure if that was the problem. it was not. Now I am about to replace the entire gas tank, but I can't see any obvious cracks or anything so before spending the time/money wanted to see if any of you had heard of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Leaking Gas

You didn't say where the gas seemed to be leaking from. I previously owned a 1997 Explorer 400. The only time it leaked gas was when the needle valve and seat in the carburetor wore out. This is a common problem. Other things that can be problematic are swing arm bushings, output shaft bearing, starter problems,front axle seals,rear chain and sprockets,front cv joint wear, sender switch for fan. I found mine to be reliable until the miles started to roll up, then it started to be a pain - very high maintainence. The motor is very reliable and powerful but I hate to have to disassemble a whole lot of things just to remove the starter. Anyway, good luck with her.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking Gas

depending on what you will be doing with it whatch out for the piston as well, a compression tester is a good investment.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Leaking Gas

I just finished fixing my sisters 500 Scrammy that needed new needle for the bowl, $35 will fix you right up. Check to see if it leaking from the carb.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Leaking Gas

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Based on what you have said and from what I can see where the gas is leaking from, I have to believe it is the needle valve.

Funny thing is I just changed one out on one of my lawnmowers earlier in the summer and never even thought about it the explorer.

Thanks!!