Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 400 hillyard trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 400 hillyard trouble

I have this problem with my quad. While in 2wd the right or left front hubs engage at times. When this happens the quad pulls hard left or right. The last time it did it the right front wheel locked up and I roll it. there is about $1200 just in parts and about $700 in labor. I m looking for anyone with this trouble.

I have been told there are 9 other case like this on this 2005 Sportsman 400. The Polaris Dealer is fighting with the Corporation at first and now the Corporation told them there is a known problem and they have not figured it out yet. They do know that all 9 are 2005 400 and green. All of this came from Polaris SR engineer (GLEN). The Corporation did not believe the dealer so they flew in a Safty guy. They both saw 10 different things wrong that the front differential was doing. Know there taking apart my quad and shipping it MN so the engineers can look at it. My problem is it has been 2weeks already and I bought the quad to ride not for them to have hillyard trouble and my hunting trip is coming up. The quad has only 40 hours on it. This should not be happening. SO if there are more case out there we sould talk.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Seems to be a common problem. I know a lot of people who never have a problem with the hilliard and others who have nothing but problems. All three of mine have the same problem to a degree. Had to have a plate replaced in the blue one and it still locks up when least expected. Their explanation was that it had became magnitized (something the same mechanic had told me before was impossible...lol) I've been told all kinds of reasons for this but I simply believe it is a flaw somewhere in the unit and they won't do a recall unless someone's life finally gets put in danger because of it. I love the AWD system, but I'd like to have only 2WD when I choose and not have the AWD kick in whenever it feels like it. Keep us posted on what they decide on with your bike. I'm sure we get the run around from the dealers as to there being a problem and a lot of people would simply like to know how to fix it. If if's a problem that can be fixed, then they simply need to tell us instead of denying that there is even a problem.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Wiredoge4,
I saw your quad in the shop. Mine is in the same shop, 2004.5 500HO Mossy Oak with a front diff failure. Mine would kick in in 2wd too. It started when I had my 100hrs service and I just found out that the dealer put the wrong front diff fluid in, which caused damage (lots of metal shavings). I heard there was an injury involved in your rollover, I hope for a quick recovery. I know Cam is going to bat for you with Polaris. Good luck and keep us all posted.