Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brand New Sportman 700

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Sportman 700

I'm into it up to a $200 dollar mp3. I'm not into it up to a $1500 sound system. And I don't see that lasting through rain, mud, and snow, no matter how -proof it is.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, as of now this unit has about 1600 trail miles on it. It has survived one roll-over (in the snow), many rides in the rain, all the mud we could throw at it, the trail trauma of whoops, rocks and jumps and a bath with a pressure washer after each weekend’s adventure. Because the entire system (except the jell-cell batt) is built into the lid of the box it’s very well protected from the elements.

The only failure has been the CD player. After about 300 miles it began skipping around when trying to play CDs. Apparently the pounding it takes on the trail messed with the alignment and tracking of the laser. No matter, with 12v power to the hard drive player it stays on continuously through a day’s ride so I just leave the tuner on “auxiliary” and use the hard drive as the music source. It’s easier than messing with CDs when you’re covered in mud anyway.

The original thought when designing this was to just use an amp between the hard drive player and the speakers. It turns out the dedicated power amps are too big, run to hot and consume too much power to work in this application. It was just easier to use the amp already built into a “car radio” to pump volume to the speakers. To get one that has an auxiliary input you have to get into the higher end components, so it came with the CD player etc. Because this one will play MP3s and WMAs I was excited about the idea of being able to get almost 100 songs on a disk but then when it quit playing disks I found it less trouble to just use the hard drive as the music source, which was the original intention. Although it does seem like a bit of a waste to have an XM-ready AM/FM receiver and a CD/MP3/WMA player, only to use it on auxiliary input.

Of course, this unit is only cranked up on trail breaks. Since I most often lead I have to refuse requests from those behind me to leave it open and playing while we ride (hehehe).

Old 10-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Even if I don't want (need, of course I want) one, it is still very cool. Theoretically, the constant vibration and movement could screw up the harddisk player as well, though, no? What brand is it, I'm just curious.

And back on topic: MUDATV700, another good investment is a high quality tow strap. Useful to have, and it's nice to have one strong enough that you know it won't break even if you're getting up some speed to yank someone out.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I’m using Creative Labs “Zen Plus” units and have never had a problem with them due to trail conditions. Now that’s not to say I’ve never had a problem with them, just never one caused by being bounced around or otherwise subjected to the trail environment. I have two, one for the quad and one for my truck, and I rotate them randomly and bring both on the trail so I have a spare. I’ve had four of these beginning with the old round “Creative Jukebox 3” and they’ve all had some kind of problems. Most just lock up occasionally and need to be reset or put through the maintenance mode. Two have needed to be returned for repair, all for no apparent reason.

When we ride in the winter I keep the Zen in the breast pocket of my bibs so it stays warm. These little players aren’t real happy below 20 degrees. If I want to fire up the BOOM! Box I just use a 20’ x 1/8” headphone extension cord as a patch cord from my pocket to the quad. The disadvantage of having the player on your person is powering off the unit’s little battery as it won’t last a whole day of riding.

I see you’ve been eyeing up the new Pure Polaris Body Guard pieces. I just put the side guard set on mine last week, after some modification. They only come in silver metal flake which looks awful on a camo quad (IMO) so these got the black truck bed liner coating before installation. Protection for the floor boards is excellent and I’m hoping to gain a little protection from those mud-slinging XTRs I’m running as they add about 1 ½” to the fenders.

As far as what to bring, I have a machete and an axe mounted to the underside of my front box lid and they’ve gotten me through trails that would have turned me around otherwise. Spare fuel is a must if you ride in the wilderness like we do. Spare fuses come in handy, as do maps. A foil blanket, something that will light a fire even when wet. Water.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

I also have been using creative labs players for a while, as well as some Rio's. I try not to be too brand loyal with electronics to try to give everything a shot. I have 2 Nomad Jukebox 3's, but don't use them anymore because they dont work with Napster to Go (although they are the best portable ever made IMO). They were out of service for a few years with the EAX screen lockup, but a recent firmware upgrade has brought them back to life. But I don't use them. I now use a Zen Micro 5gig and love it, especially with napster to go. Greatest music idea ever. I had a Rio Nitrus for awhile that I loved, but ran it over with the quad (twice actually, it survived the first time) and the board-mounted LCD cracked. Not worth trying to rescue.

For the bodyguards, I've been downtalking them because I'm too cheap to buy them. If they made them for the 04's I'd consider saving up a bit, but I'd just assume keep trashing my fenders (which are very scarred already, no point in saving them now). The bedliner over them is a good idea, though.

I would like some more floorboard protection, as well, as both of mine are cracked and jagged on the outside edges. But again, no sense protecting what's already broken. And if I buy new ones, they'll just get trashed too.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

why woud any of you buy a polarairs

Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stoda
I'll let you know after you go back to school and learn how to spell!!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jayri
Originally posted by: stoda
I'll let you know after you go back to school and learn how to spell!!

Ssssssnnnnnnnaaaaaaapppppppp!!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hahaha What he meant to say was "Why would anyone NOT buy a Polaris?" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Range Rover

Another mod you may want to think about is replacing the front springs. With the winch and front brush guard on mine, the front end would bottom out constantly on the trails. Replaced the stock springs with the MV7 springs and it made a world of difference.

I also added the 3 headlight kit and the reverse backup light kit from quadovator. As far as the storage box, my front and rear were far from waterproof. I got a tube of silicone and sealed all the seams and seams to keep the water out now.

Congrats on the new ride. You will love it.