Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question for Rick Ritter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Rick Ritter

Rick I was wondering and I know Id get strait answer from because since ive been reading and posting on this forum your rep is soild..
I have 2 2005 Polaris 800 EFI"s they run great neither smoke and performance is great but....I add a little oil to each of them nothing major but I do add oil to both..
Should I be Concerned? my dealer is absolutley no help any thing about anything and the answer is"normal"...so can you gimme a strait answer? thanks in advance
Rick.......Perky

Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

You'll need to call and talk to him, he is too busy to get on the computer, but will answer his phone. 618-644-3211

Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A new quad should NOT burn oil, I will tell you that. However, it will if the "break-in" oil is still in the motor. Have you changed the oil since you got it?? If so, have you changed it recently?

Just making sure the oil isn't breaking down, and becomming thin.....because if it is, it will burn.

I suppose, if you run with the choke on a lot or something, it might burn a bit too.......or if you are lugging it a bunch or loading it heavily, often.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with bradracer....did you change your oil, i changed first at 20 miles and then again at 100 miles during breakin, its just my way to do it...the 20 miles i do on almost every motorized vehicles i own to get any crap out of the oil/motor...

Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Same here elkbow......on the predator it is HIGHLY reccommended you get the oil out within the first hour of riding......and then 5-6hrs after that......then every 10-12hrs.

That break in oil is very thin.......

Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes Ive changed in both one them twice and getting ready to change again......I hope you caught the fact that I said both quads run excellent and neither smoke...thats what has me be fuddled....usage not excessive but I do add a little between changes....thanks elkbow and brad for responding...Guys I ask because I knpow theres a lotta 800"s out there the question may seem stupid but the dealer here where I bought my quads is useless every question you ask him you get the same answer it"s "normal" there new quads with warranty but he still doesent wanna do anything about anything till you shove them in a corner about it..I love the 800 but due the dealer support I get and the distance Id have to travel to get to another dealer Im probally gonna sell them both and buy another brand bsimply because I know the other guy will stand behind what he sells..I called Polaris customer service and the lady actually laughed when I told her the response I get and all they would do is hook me up with a different dealer, that dont sound much like a company that stands behind what it sells either and these puppies werent cheap I GOT OVER $17,000 INVESTED HERE and a $2.00 dealer..
My exsperience here with this guy reminds of why every body where I live pretty much goes outta town to buy..Im sick of the fact that I didnt..

Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Crap, I didn't do that with the Blazer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Brad and Elkbow,
would mobole one 0/40 be ok to putin the 800"s ive only used the polaris oil but thinking about changing brands if not the mobile one how about the syntec i keep hereing about at 5/40..just courious

Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Stay with the mobil1, especially if you get any cold weather where you're at.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

New machines shouldn't use oil in my opinion. It is a wonder you don't see a little smoke on deceleration. I would ask around on the forums here and see if anyone else has similar experiences with the 800's. It could be a characteristic of the 800. Getting a dealer to warranty the smoke issue and replace piston rings may be futile. I would almost rather have to add oil in a new machine rather than have a new machine tore apart and worked on at a dealer under warranty.

Rick Ritter

PS ---> If I offended any dealers step up to the plate , take this job on and take care of the issue. I will retract my statement .

Quick Reply: Question for Rick Ritter