Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default terrible day, snapped a drive shaft...look

Originally posted by: springtuckyn
Originally posted by: elkbow
Originally posted by: BryceGTX
do you know how the shaft is attached to the front drive housing? the manual shows it as a pin....but it shows a picture of an '04 type model with a u-joint, yet the page before shows the cv jointed shaft....terrible manual....
I looked at a Polaris parts manual and it appears there is a c-clip slot on the inner CV spline. But when I look at the front diff break apart, I don't see how the c-clip can hold it in unless the inner CVT just pops in and out of the front diff with a bit of force kinda like a socket on a rachet.
Bryce
thats what i was seeing...i'll figure it out, even if i have to ask the dealer...ok, maybe not...lol
to replace one of my boots, we put the driveshaft in a vice, put an oversized socket on the coupler (in your pic), pounded it back onto the axle some to give the snap ring some room to get out, then we were able to remove it. Couldn't figure out any other way to do it... worked fine.
I want to take the whole axle off, so I need to know how to get the end at the center off....

Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

ouch man!

better get that fixed a-sap

Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Range Rover

Bryce,
Just looked up the parts on Polarisoemparts.com, wow, the outer CV joint assembly is $174.99 ($199 retail) and the boot kit is $26.49.....I can buy the whole thing for $250....maybe thecvman.com is the way to go....

dave
Ouch.. Maybe "thecvman" could tell us why this CV came apart. If the suspension can drop more than stock, the CV will come apart. But you'd think a stock suspension could not have this problem.
Bryce
maybe, but you have to remember what i was doing, i hooked the winch to a stump that was in the arroyo, probably 10 degrees off my front left, when i winch, it was almost flipping the atv on its side and i was on the gas....i think i just put too much stress on there and it popped....it damaged the CV as there are pieces parts in there, the shaft end may be damaged also....i think what I'm going to do for now is replace the whole thing and then if the other one is rebuildable, then i'll rebuild it and have a spare....

do you know how the shaft is attached to the front drive housing? the manual shows it as a pin....but it shows a picture of an '04 type model with a u-joint, yet the page before shows the cv jointed shaft....terrible manual....
Since the brake side of the axle is loose (cause it broke), grab the axle shaft and give it a good tug, it will just pop out... same way going back in. My dealer also suggested when putting it back, put some never-seize on the splines going into the drive housing.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

thanks spring....thats what i was thinking needed to happen....i have a new shaft ordered, so I'll install a new one and hopefully rebuild the other one as a spare......I was thinking of ordering the heavy duty axles from thecvman....which i think are thicker like gorilla's but much cheaper

Old 11-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

half shaft angles will be greater with larger tires, you must have really been putting some major torque to the wheels while winching out to the side.
Gotta do what you gotta do to try and get out.
That was major stuck!

Hope you get her fixed up soon and back out huntin. Camo plastics look good.

Jim

Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jimmypsp700
half shaft angles will be greater with larger tires, you must have really been putting some major torque to the wheels while winching out to the side.
Gotta do what you gotta do to try and get out.
That was major stuck!

Hope you get her fixed up soon and back out huntin. Camo plastics look good.

Jim
Ya Jim, some serious stress was put on there while winching to the side....when i said 10 degrees to the side, i really meant 10 degrees off of the side, i.e. really 80 degrees off of the front.....it was up almost on its side and all the weight was on the front left and I got on the gas trying to lift it out of the hole/mud....and boom....there goes the cv....

oh well...

dave

Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Dave.. The more I think about it.. I wonder if what really did you in was that the steering was probably hard over to one side and that created the largest angle in the the outer CVs. Combined with suspension extended out and all the load directed to the left front tire (winch pulling from that direction), it created the worst case load for the left CV.
Bryce

Old 11-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have an extra stock axle with about 100 mikes on it. I'll sell for 150.00 I'll pay shipping. I took them off when I installed Gorillas.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Dave.. The more I think about it.. I wonder if what really did you in was that the steering was probably hard over to one side and that created the largest angle in the the outer CVs. Combined with suspension extended out and all the load directed to the left front tire (winch pulling from that direction), it created the worst case load for the left CV.
Bryce
thats pretty much what happened...not sure if the steering was hard over to one side, but think about the winch pulling all the machine weight down on the front left tire...then getting on the gas, the tire was trying to pull, but just too much stress at the cv....