Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OT...Need info on helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I like this forum due to its traffic and what I ride.

I'm looking at getting a new helmet, I now wear Fulmer street helmet regardless of how it looks or feels, but I want a motocross helmet. I do mostly trail and some hill climbing, Im looking at like the cheaper THH line of helmets

Now some of you are going to say buy the most expensive one you can afford I know.I paid quite the price for my street one at the time.

Are they all equall in protection, other than the obvious like true full face ect? Is DOT approved good or sufficiant enough for what I need or should they absolutley be SNELL or better?

Thanks all

IAJack

Old 10-31-2000, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

Anyone?

BTT

Old 10-31-2000, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

I would highly recommend getting a Snell approved helmet.

I currently use a Shoei. I received it for me B-day so I'm not sure what my wife paid. Its extremely comfortable and I would recommend it. There are tons of manufactures and models. The call is yours. Go with whatever fits you best.

Old 10-31-2000, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the previous post; go with whatever fits you best, but definitely full-face. There's a helmet for almost every shape of head out there. You might be lucky and find one at a reasonable price that fits you well. I'm not suggesting that you buy the cheapest you can get, but no helmet is going to protect you from anything and everything that can happen to you anyway. The big difference between cheap and expensive helmets is the material they're made of.
Cheap = plastic, expensive = fibre glass. The latter is a lot stronger than the former, but it will not give way and attempt to return to its original shape in an accident; it will break. The process of breaking is exactly what is supposed to absorb the energy of the impact before it reaches your head. Plastic, on the other hand, will bend and deform in an attempt to absorb the energy, but it is not as effective as fibre glass.

For the rest of it it's mostly just comfort and looks. One very useful feature of some more expensive helmets is the removable and washable lining, I should think. I don't have it, and my helmet's lining is becoming very dirty.