Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 700 efi jumping into 4 wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005 | 10:04 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Polaris 700 efi jumping into 4 wheel drive?

I have a 05 700 EFI that is jumping into 4 wheel randomly when not in 4 wheel what is up with this, has any one else had this problem
it usually happens when I am on the gas and the back tires are slipping?

Old 11-25-2005 | 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

When you say it’s “jumping into AWD randomly” are you sure it’s actually in AWD or is it just the AWD indicator is lighting up?

The first thing I’d do is make sure your battery is fully charged. A weak battery can cause electrical weirdness. Are you running any accessories like grip/thumb warmers?

Old 11-25-2005 | 10:39 AM
|
Trailblazer

floodrunner
No I'm not running wormers, I was screwing around in the road yesterday (in 2 wheel) after 6" of snowfall and slid into the ditch I tried to back out
wile spinning the back tires the front end slammed in and just about through me over the handlebars. The battery is a good suggestion how would you check this?
I have testers for auto will this work what is the CCA of the battery? I don't see it on the battery

Old 11-25-2005 | 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Actually this sounds like a faulty AWD switch to me, or some wires are worn through and making contact that shouldn’t be. But I like to eliminate the easy stuff first and making sure the battery is fully charged is easy, just put it on a charger until it’s done cooking. Intermittent electrical problems can be a real bear to track down.

It’s best to use a 1 ½ amp charger for this type of battery and Yuasa makes the best ones out there. I wouldn’t put it on a 15 amp automotive charger. You need to “trickle” charge it with a device that will indicate when it’s done. The best way to check the batt is with a specific gravity tester in each cell but do that after it’s charged.

You can probably find out what the CCA of the batt is on the Interstate website.

Old 11-25-2005 | 11:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bobcet
I was screwing around in the road yesterday (in 2 wheel) after 6" of snowfall and slid into the ditch I tried to back out
wile spinning the back tires the front end slammed in and just about through me over the handlebars.

just a thought, did you hit the OVERRIDE button while in reverse? if the rear tires were still spinning and you hit the button your fronts would slam in!(not a good thing). let-off on the gas, wait for the rears to stop, hit the yellow button, then give her the gas (carefully). LOL!

~MT

Old 11-25-2005 | 12:52 PM
|
Trailblazer

I will try charging the battery when I get home tonight. I just talked to the dealer and he said...... that Polaris is aware of this it was brought up at the last
dealer training session he attended. He is saying that the halyard (sp?) bearing and armature plat (in the front axel) is the problem $200.00 parts $300.00 labor....!!!!!!!!
Have you herd of this anyone

O by the way it is not covered under the warranty either

Old 11-25-2005 | 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

This is the first I’ve heard of an internal problem with the centralized Hilliard clutch system and it doesn’t sound good at all. It would be good to know just what the characteristics of this problem are. Does it just suddenly engage in AWD when it senses the rear wheels spinning faster than the front without the AWD on, like what happened to you? (good way to break something in the drive train) Or does it also drop AWD when it should be engaged?

Depending on the answer, if it’s only the first scenario the cheap “cure” would be to leave it in AWD. That way you wouldn’t have to worry about it engaging suddenly when the revs are up and shearing an axle, or worse. I’m gonna look into this one.

When you say it’s not covered by the warranty I assume you mean your warranty has expired and Polaris is not offering a free fix beyond the warranty period, right?

Old 11-25-2005 | 01:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

No it is still under warranty they said and I quote they are not responsible for design or engineering flaws...............!!! this is bull

Old 11-25-2005 | 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

My 02 sp700 dose it from time to time but only when its cool out.Did it ever do it this past summer?Try changing the front hub lub with polaris lub only....

Old 11-25-2005 | 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

There has to be more to this story, it just doesn’t add up. Of course they are responsible for design and engineering flaws. The machine has to perform as advertised or it is broken and should be repaired, under warranty if it’s still in effect.

I’m trying to read between the lines here but could it be that the problem you describe was mentioned at the dealer training session as having been “reported very occasionally, here’s what’s causing it and it seems to be a non-threatening design characteristic?” I don’t know because I wasn’t there but it could be they don’t have a fix for it and they’re just considering it infrequent but normal behavior, kind of like when one of the outer hubs would lock up on the old system and you’d have to change your direction of travel to get it unlocked. It was irritating when it happened but it didn’t happen a lot and became accepted as a normal occurrence.

Quick Reply: Polaris 700 efi jumping into 4 wheel drive?