Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 Sportsman Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Sportsman Electrical Issue

I have a 1999 Sportsman 500 that has been virtually problem free with the exception of a nagging 4WD issue that seems to happen in the cold. I sometimes loose 4WD when I am plowing (which basically makes this machine worthless in the snow). I live in Minnesota and mainly use my machine for plowing in the winter. I was told that it could be an electrical problem in that the battery was not able to keep up with the demands of using the winch for lifting the plow (often) and the fan running alot and the lights, etc. And that when the battery would get low, the 4WD could become unavailable due to the electrical current required to keep it engaged. Does this make sence? My battery is fresh, and sometimes the 4wd will not engage when I first begin plowing, and sometimes it comes in and out during the course of plowing. And other times I can plow for 2 hours and never have a problem. I don't get it.

The other issue I just experianced was that I turned on the key and got no lights, speedo display, etc, but I could start the machine. Then I turned the key off and on a few times, and all of the lights came back. It would seem that if I had a wiring or electrical issue, that I wouldn't be able to start it with the starter. Any ideas or similar issues?

One other thing too, recently my gear shifter would not come out of reverse. I had used it a few days prior and left it in reverse. When I went to use it again, it was literally locked there, and I cant beleive it was frozen. It has not been that cold, and my garage was probably 35 degrees at the time. I had to hit it really hard to get the shifter out of reverse. Once out, it shifted rough in and out of gears, and as I worked it for a while, it seemed fine. This seemed very strange. Is the shifting on this totally mechanical, and no electrical possibilities to this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer on any of these issues, I appreciate it.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

take off the connectors under the run/off switch.there is two of them. clean them up and throw some di electric grease on the female ends of the plugs. take a flash light and inspect them for burning or extreme corrosionand if so replace.. also check the breaker fuse.back to the on/off connectors,start the machine and wiggle them back and fourth.see if the lights flicker on and off.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the boards.

Try what he said for the electrical problems.

The shifter on this quad is completely mechanical (with a sensor switch). Your quad has the old-style H-pattern shifter, right? If your idle is too high, the quad will not shift out of gear. If the linkages are not adjusted correctly, you may encounter shifting problems as well.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Tyler711, It does have the 'H' pattern shifter. I never have had an idle problem, so I know that that part is fine. I did go check it this morning and it is stuck again, and I think it must be frozen (as it is below zero here today too). I will heat up the garage and take it apart tonight. I am thinking that it may have gotten wet during a ride last summer, and is just reacting now to the moisture. Any thoughts? Is there some lubrication that needs to be there or is this a sealed unit?? Any advise if the thing is frozen and far as getting it not to happen again?
Thanks for the help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks ltdaddyo, I will take a look at the switch / wiring tonight. Do you think that the 4wd issue might be ralated to the same thing (sws / electrical connection)? Or would you suspect something at the hubs (or perhaps another electrical issue)?

Thanks for the assistance!

Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you lubed the shift linkage ? My nephew did this and when it got freezing & below so did did his linkage (froze) Started his quad up warmed up and no shifter problem. He went to the dealer and got some type of lube! Hope this helps!!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

Have you serviced the hubs?

If the fluid level isn't correct then your going to have issues.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not looked at the fluid level in a few years. I seem to remember the level should be 3:00 or possibly 2:00?? So if the fluid is low perhaps, I might experiance it coming in and out of 4WD? Please expand on why that is, if you can. Does the fluid effect the magnetics in some way? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OnWheels
I have not looked at the fluid level in a few years. I seem to remember the level should be 3:00 or possibly 2:00?? So if the fluid is low perhaps, I might experiance it coming in and out of 4WD? Please expand on why that is, if you can. Does the fluid effect the magnetics in some way? Thanks for the help.
Service manual says 4:00 or 8:00, most people here say 3 or 9. Either way, just make sure it's not full or empty.

With bad or low fluid, the large hex piece inside the hub cannot move as its supposed to, making AWD not work or work wrong (engage when its off or not engage when it's on).