Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installing Hand Warmers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Hand Warmers

How tuff is it to put these things on. (hand and thumb)?

Dealer wants $130. materials and another $90. for labor.

What do you guy's think?

500 HO HO HO

Old 12-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you do it yourself, the cost of the grips and thumb warmer will be about 70 bucks, and if you have any idea how electricity works..you can install them. Usually the intructions and wiring diagram come in the package. If you have a warm place to work, like a heated garage...then itll be a piece of cake

Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

there must be a penetration for the switch?

and ifn i stick with popo products perhaps there is a plug and play under the little hood in the front?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: workaholic
there must be a penetration for the switch?

and ifn i stick with popo products perhaps there is a plug and play under the little hood in the front?
There is a spade-type quick disconnect under the hood for +12v, but any kit could make use of this by either crimping on a connector or tapping into this wire. The polaris kit does come with nice matching switches, though (see my pictures on the left <==). You have to drill the pod to install the switches. Just make sure there is clearance behind the plastic for the switches. Like hondabuster said, if you know how electricity works, do it yourself and save some $$$. If you are unsure, your dealer will do a clean install and hide the wires nicely.

Whether its worth it or not is up to you, but in my mind, 90 bucks is a lot. I take it, for that price, the dealer wants 1.5hr or 2hrs labor for this? Shouldn't take that long.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you stick with the Polaris warmers they give nice detailed instructions on how to connect everything. Do it yourself and save the money. I think the hardest part was getting the grips off and that was not that bad.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the opinions guy's

The shop rate at the dealer here is 60. per hour.

This dealership has been here in town for years.
Their prices aren't the cheapest all the time, but they have a good rep for good reason.
I think I'll bring it in and sit and wait for it.
It shouldn't take longer than a half hour for a pro. In my opinion.

I sure am happy with my...

500 ho ho ho

Old 12-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: workaholic
Thanks for the opinions guy's

The shop rate at the dealer here is 60. per hour.

This dealership has been here in town for years.
Their prices aren't the cheapest all the time, but they have a good rep for good reason.
I think I'll bring it in and sit and wait for it.
It shouldn't take longer than a half hour for a pro. In my opinion.

I sure am happy with my...

500 ho ho ho
Cool, less stress for you drilling into your new quad. That's why I had mine installed when my 04 was new. Have a good night.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer

My dealer did not charge me to install them when it was new and only charge me 70 for polaris hand and thumb warmers I had to replace the handelbars on my 04 after I roled it it was farley ez to get the old grips off and back on the new bars, eathier way they are the best and you will love your 500 even better after you get them..

Old 12-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Trailblazer

Well I was going to buy a windshield as my buddy says his keeps the wind off his hands and they stay warm. But I am not so sure and my thumb ached and froze yesterday as it was about 15 degrees up here- MI.

How hard is it to glue? the thumb warmer on to the plastic throttle lever and does it stay? I have a Mad Dog flexible extension on the throttle lever now. Can I use the pure polaris thumb warmer with this somehow or would I have to take it off back to stock? Also, if I go with the hand warmers as well do you have to use any type of glue when you slid the grips back on? I know about the air compressor trick to get them off but do they just push back on? Finally, I don't have a heated garage to do this so if glue is called for I am probably a month or two late.....................

Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: gillly
Well I was going to buy a windshield as my buddy says his keeps the wind off his hands and they stay warm. But I am not so sure and my thumb ached and froze yesterday as it was about 15 degrees up here- MI.

How hard is it to glue? the thumb warmer on to the plastic throttle lever and does it stay? I have a Mad Dog flexible extension on the throttle lever now. Can I use the pure polaris thumb warmer with this somehow or would I have to take it off back to stock? Also, if I go with the hand warmers as well do you have to use any type of glue when you slid the grips back on? I know about the air compressor trick to get them off but do they just push back on? Finally, I don't have a heated garage to do this so if glue is called for I am probably a month or two late.....................
Just got done putting hand warmers on my 500 it was a piece of cake. When putting your grips back on use air like when you took them off.