Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye for Mowing, Plowing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye for Mowing, Plowing?

Hello, new to forum...

I am considering purchasing a 2006 Hawkeye 4X4 for use on my property. I would like to have a machine for finish mowing about 4 to 5 acres, plowing a driveway and for just general riding fun on 13 or so acres. The portion of the property to be mowed is mostly flat or slightly sloping. The portion of the driveway to be plowed is about 300ft to a longer stretch of "shared" driveway that gets plowed by my neighbors jeep. The rest of the property is rolling hills that I'll make some trails just for recreational riding. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 230lbs. I like the smaller size of the Hawkeye. It's in my price range including the mower and plow attachments. Looking at the spreader too. I've been looking for some time and have narrowed my search to this machine. How well do the finish cut mowers work? Am I better off just getting a compact tractor. Seems like the four wheeler is more versatile and can be used for recreation as well. I have been riding for about 20 years and prefer the physically smaller machines. I have owned a Tri Moto 200, Tri-Z 250, YZ 125 (raced for a short period), XR 250 and most recently a Yamaha Blaster. I really like the Hawkeye because at my age I'm not looking for speed... just some fun and light duty utility work... haul some wood or a chain saw, plowing, dragging a log, "survey" the property, etc... would prefer to by new but the Hawkeye with attachments is about all my wallet can take (approx $6500).

I look forward to your feedback... thanks for the great forum, seems like great people and great info here!

Old 12-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

That is pretty much why I bought my first Polaris a couple of years ago. I bought a 04 330 ATP. 6200.00 with a 56" glacier plow. I rode this machine for a year and used it to mow 10 acres with a 60" tow behind finish mower, plow about 100ft of driveway and miles of side walks, and to haul logs up to the house from my wood lot. I since bought myself a used 700 Sportsman. But I still have it and my wife rides it every weekend. Since I have a landscaping company I bought two 05 ATP 500ho just for the 56" glacier plow set up, these are only used to plow commercial side walks. I am talking about 100 miles per storm each.
I dont know the weight of the Hawkeye but I would guess it it alot less. I find the weight helps out alot. They are absolutely tanks. And we love ours...
Hope that helps you a little...

Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

try to find a left over 2004 or 2005 sportsman 400. it will work way harder then the hawkeye.
the hawkeye is way to light for plowing snow over 6 inches. and if its wet you wont push anything.

or the magnum 330 4x4 is a proven motor with alot of power.

but i realy recomend a left over sportsmen if you can find one. or even a used one thats not beaten.

at almost 6 feet you will get cramped on the hawkeye.

hope i could help!

Fred.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

The 4x4 Hawkeye is rated I believe at 550# dry which is/almost as heavy as the larger Jap 4bys, I think it would plow very well with a 48" blade. The only thing is the tires, I'd swap to a more aggressive radial tire or you could run chains. As for the mowing being an air cooled engine with no fan I don't know if there would be a problem with cooling at very low speeds for extended periods, an aux fan would be nice.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerslider
The 4x4 Hawkeye is rated I believe at 550# dry which is/almost as heavy as the larger Jap 4bys, I think it would plow very well with a 48" blade. The only thing is the tires, I'd swap to a more aggressive radial tire or you could run chains. As for the mowing being an air cooled engine with no fan I don't know if there would be a problem with cooling at very low speeds for extended periods, an aux fan would be nice.
but you have to remember that it is only 300cc's.

Fred.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

You might want to consider a Deere or equal for all the work you want. ATVs and tractors are very different. I have both. I wouldn't excpect any ATV to own up to the work you need. If you must have an ATV to do your work, consider one that had radiator cooling, because you are going to overheat any machine built for riding and used for work. . .

Old 12-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

From reports I've read from various sources this is not a weak engine, the Honda Rancher is a 333cc not much larger and less weight. One guy claimed his son drug his Bomb 800 with him on it and brakes locked, another claim is being able to spin 27" tires with no problem. If all goes well I'll have one tomorrow, the one I was supposed to pickup today got rolled off the dealers truck, not taking that one.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the great replies! I am still considering all options at this point. Went to the dealer to take another look today. Still like the look and feel of the Hawkeye. Dealer was willing to give me a pretty good deal on a leftover Magnum ($4600), but can't get wrapped around the look of the machine... I know it's probably a stupid reason not to get it, it is a solid machine... the Hawkeye has really grown on me though.

I downloaded the Hawkeye owners manual from the Polaris web site and it mentioned an oil cooler that can be purchased if the machine will be used for slow speed work or heavy hauling... I'll have to ask the dealer about it.

Thanks again for all the great advise! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

The magnum will eat the hawk, period.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerslider
From reports I've read from various sources this is not a weak engine, the Honda Rancher is a 333cc not much larger and less weight. One guy claimed his son drug his Bomb 800 with him on it and brakes locked, another claim is being able to spin 27" tires with no problem. If all goes well I'll have one tomorrow, the one I was supposed to pickup today got rolled off the dealers truck, not taking that one.
not to be a smart a$$ or anything, but its 329cc.

2stroked4x4, your right the magnum is basicly the same, but without IRS and 30 cc's more.

personaly i think that the hawkeyes are kinda ugly. but thats my opinion.
the magnum has bin proven true, and thats somthing that stands out to me.

Fred.

Quick Reply: Hawkeye for Mowing, Plowing?