Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

28" SWAMP LITES or 27" MUD LITE XTR'S

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28" SWAMP LITES or 27" MUD LITE XTR'S

Alright I am looking for some new tires for the 800. I was wanting to go with 28" XTR'S but Mud Lite dont make the XTR'S in 28" so i would have to go to 27". Several buddies have Swamp Lites and they are very pleased with them and they are available in 28". My questions to you are, if this was your bike what would you do and why? Would you go with a wider front tire? My current size is 26x8x12 and someone reccommended that I go to 10" wide on the front. What would you do or what have you done?

Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well i have a 06 800 as well and when i do get new tires it will be the mudlites radials because of the handling and are pretty good in mud as well. pure mud tirees dont handle as well on hard pack so the radials are a good choice. i beleave you can put 27" on w/ no problems w/ clearence, but a think 28" might hit. no sure about it though. 1" i wouldnt think would be that much better to go w/ 28" 27" will get you in just as much trouble lol. good luck

Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I'm runnin the 27 inch XTR's and really like them. Really ride smooth and have huge lugs. Been playin in the snow and these radials will get you where you need to go![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm running 9 inch wide in front and work great.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jayri
I'm runnin the 27 inch XTR's and really like them. Really ride smooth and have huge lugs. Been playin in the snow and these radials will get you where you need to go![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm running 9 inch wide in front and work great.
Thanks for the Info. Have you had any problems with tire rub?

Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

It really comes down to a matter of riding style and terrain. We love to play in mud but ride a lot of hard pack and rocky trails between the sloppy stuff. I want a tire that can be a serious competitor on the mud but one that I don’t have to “suffer” with the other 80% of the time we’re on the “between trails.” 27” XTRs are that tire. I was sold on them before the snow but after riding in 8” of fresh white on a 6” base I couldn’t believe how well these skins hook up in the snow. I was breakin’ trail and everyone else was struggling to keep up.

I ran 28s” for a while and didn’t like ‘em for the way we ride. First of all, the larger circumference of the tire robbed acceleration. Second, the 10” fronts were only about 1/8” away from the outer tie rod end boot so when the tire would pick up mud it would trash the boot, and eventually the tie rod end. Third, the higher center of gravity and taller sidewall (increased flex) made cornering at speed more than a little uncomfortable. Occasionally we like to “woods race” through tight trails and there’s no way I could keep up due to the reduced acceleration and having to slow way down for corners. Finally, I didn’t think the slight gain the 28s gave me in ground clearance was worth putting up with all the above. Factor in the fact that those bigger tires are harder on the drive train and you know why I’m not running them anymore. But someone who does nothing but play in the mud would have different priorities.

One more thing, you're gonna need to lift the front and rear to run 28s. I made custom 1" lifts for both ends of my machine and didn't have any rubbing problems (except the tie rod end). You can mount 27s on a late model Sportsman without lifting it and it won't rub.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: robedoll
Originally posted by: jayri
Thanks for the Info. Have you had any problems with tire rub?
No, but my rims are offset out quite a bit.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

I just put 27" Swamp Lites on my 2003 Vinson. Unfortunately I can't find any mud or snow in Arizona right now to test them out. They are very aggressive. They make a rooster tail in the sand without even spinning. Don't ever follow anyone with them on a gravel road either. I posted a picture of them.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: notmuch69
They are very aggressive. They make a rooster tail in the sand without even spinning. Don't ever follow anyone with them on a gravel road either. I posted a picture of them.
Been there done that! Two buddies of mine have the swamp lites and they do kick up some serious rooster tails. Good thing I invested in some good googles before going on the ride.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO! I have bought decided to go with the 27" XTR's. Ordering them next week.

Again THANKS