Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Grease question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease question?

I have a 2006 500EFI. I just returned from a mud bogging ride. I decided to change all my fluids. No problem with the front diff, and the transmission. I was just wondering why Polaris uses two different greases. All purpose grease for the suspension and U-joint grease for the U-joints. Can I just use the U-joint grease for everything. I called a local dealer and he said he uses the all purpose grease for everything. He also said the U-Joint grease is better but is more expensive. I was thinking of using Moble synthetic grease for everything, it's listed in the Polaris manual as a sub for the all purpose grease. What do you think? Would the Moble snthetic grease be ok for everything? Why does the 700 and 800 have angle drive fluid and the 500 does not? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

Mobil synthetic grease works just fine.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

Use a "water-proof" grease, usually something ment for boat trailers. It has less of a clay base, and will hold up well in a 4 wheeler. General grease usually is not water-proof

Old 01-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

Thanks gunman457, I think it would suck having to use two gease guns anyway.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

I've used the moble synthetic grease before and anything it touches, ie rags, clothes, etc... you have to throw away because you can't wash it off. I would think it's waterproof. Also I already have some moble synthetic. I don't have a problem buying something better though. Thanks for the help...

Old 01-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

I just looked at Mobil 1's web site. That grease is Water Resistant. It will work better than normal grease, but if you do a ton of mud/water riding. I might suggest shopping for a water-prroof version

Old 01-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

I also checked out the Mobil 1 website. It sounds like a good grease. After taking 5 hours to wash all the mud off my quad, I don't think I'll be doing alot of mud bogging. Although it was a blast. I think I'll stick with the Mobil. I plan on doing all my services and very often. I think it should be fine. I have a friend that builds race cars, he said to stay away from marine grease. He tried to explain why, but I have no idea what he said.

Why would a dealer charge $175.00 to change the front diff and trans and lub all zerks? It took me about 20 min to do it all, and it was so easy. Did I do something wrong? I drained the front diff, and filled it with 5oz of on demand fluid to the bottom of the fill plug like it says in the service manual. Then I drained and filled the trans with 32oz of the proper trans fluid (Can't remember the exact name, what it says in the service manual) to the bottom of the fill plug. About $13.00 and 20 mins. Most of the time was just letting it drain for a while. I'll grease all the zerks today.

I don't know how this happened, but during the mud ride, I met this guy with a 2005 Arctic Cat 650. He brought me to a mud hole that he said he got stuck in the week before. We both had winches and tow straps so I went for it. About half way, my quad came to a stop with all four tires spinning. I kept on the throttle and it started to move and I made it out. The guy with the AC went for it and he got stuck about half way. He tried everything, rocking back and forth, he had all 4 wheels spinning. I threw him the tow strap and with a little pull he was out. We both had stock tires, but mine look a little more agressive. Maybe it was a tire issue. I bet if he had better tires, he could have made it through. Also he did have his front diff locked up. I was not about to push my luck and try that mud hole again. That AC had alot of power, he could take me in a drag race, by about four quad lengths in 100yards, but my quad handled ALOT better. We had a blast....

Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

Just keep in mind to grease your atv after a lot of water riding and mudding. Amsoil also make's a good synthetic grease too. Amsoil make's a superior product.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grease question?

That's what I plan on doing. I allready changed the front diff, and trans. I just wanted to make sure I use good grease. Thanks for your help.