Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No lights or instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No lights or instrument cluster

I have a 2003 Sportsman 400 and I have lost my lights and instrument cluster. My winch still works and I can turn the ignition on and pull start but it will not start with the ignition key. Has anyone ever had this problem? It all started a few months ago when I noticed my lights flickering off and on when I applied the brake (on the handle bar). It did this several times until finally it they went off for good. Any help would be appreciated before I give in and take it to the dealer.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just read something about that in hear somewhere. cant remeber where for sure. something having to run a new wire from the brake. so a serch and you'll find it

Old 02-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried to search but no luck. Can you give me any more information? Thanks

Old 02-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

im tring to do my own search on it ill let u know if i find something. seems to me that if it was acting up w/ the brake being pulled start there and look for a shorted wire or ground out. check your fuses and pull apart the h.lite pod to trace the wires.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

six8, go under electrical problem and look at floodrunners post, maybe nothing but its something like your problem.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

six 8

i had a problem with the pod cluster going out when you turn to right and when i turned back it would come back on. I took the pod off and front plastic and started looking for loose wires. in my pulling wires i got the pod to go off and the head lamp when off to. i found that the brown wire going to head lamp blub was boke in the harness i ran another piece of wire and every thing works fine. the brown wire feed power to head lamp and pod assy.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

six 8

p.s. everything else worked fine it would crank and run just pod and headlamp wouldn't

Old 02-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: six8
I have a 2003 Sportsman 400 and I have lost my lights and instrument cluster. My winch still works and I can turn the ignition on and pull start but it will not start with the ignition key. Has anyone ever had this problem? It all started a few months ago when I noticed my lights flickering off and on when I applied the brake (on the handle bar). It did this several times until finally it they went off for good. Any help would be appreciated before I give in and take it to the dealer.
this might sound stupid,but turn the key on,push the yellow overide button, if that don't work try turning your power switch on and off, the one on the left handlebar.wayout, out..........

Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a similar problem on my scrambler, turned out to be the run switch on the left side of handlebars, try playing around with that switch with key switch turned on. I lost lights, starter, awd and cooling fan but would start with pull starter and ran fine.

Quick Reply: No lights or instrument cluster