Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

RCR stage1 for 400 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCR stage1 for 400 scrambler

I am looking into buying the stage1 kit from RCR for my 99 400 4x4 Scrambler. I am wondering if anyone here has purchased this and if so what pipe did you get with the kit? I use my Scrambler almost exclusively for trail riding so I would really like the most power increase to be at the lowend.

For that reason I am looking into the lowend pipe. How much does the lowend power increase with the midrange pipe?

I may want too much, but ideally I would like to get quite a bit more power, preferably lowend power. I would like to be able to hit the throttle and easily pick the front end up. The kicker is I would also like to be able to slowly climb hills if I want.

As you can tell by my username I also have a Grizzly and everyone I ride with has Utes. We are climbing up hills with rocks on them fairly often and I want to be able to go over them slow if I choose to, without feeling like the front end is going to come over on me. I am guessing everyone is going to tell me to get a 4-stroke :-)

Any feedback on the RCR stage1 kit with the two different pipes is greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know somewhere on the web I can go to learn about tuning the clutch in my scrammy?

Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rcr doesn;t stock the low end anymore, but he will most likly make one if you ask.

that being said I would look at the midrange or seeing if rick will let you upgrade to an HPD trail pipe its one of the broadest powerband pipes available.

another option would be the dynoport whihc I think rick can get you as well.

best customer service in the atv industry period.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what you are wanting you have two choices for lowend power I personally like the Dynoport(www.dynoport.com ) it is a pipe designed to work with stock or close to stock clutching.
Aaens Torquer pipe is the other good lowend pipe but it needs to be clutched to get the most out of it. The RcR pipes are good but need to have alot of engament to work right.Rick may be able to set you up with a pipe that will work in the lowend.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I put all the goodies on my '03 400 Trailblazer listed below, but before the high engagement front spring the stock spring worked better for trail riding.

With everything listed below I pull a 60 inch trail mower to mow my 5 acres with, and it works without burning up belts. Third year on same belt and going to Glamis again.

Go with Mid pipe and stock silencer, air box mod kit and a new primary spring from '03 Trailblazer 400 and the RCR secondary clutch spring kit. You will add about 11 hp and lots of torque.

I'm running 25 inch rear tires and its hard to keep front end down. No port work on my stocker 400 with parts add on's.

good luck..............handycap

Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have RCR, HSP, & HDP mods on my scrambler 400 4x4. Just call Rick and tell him what you want to do. He wont steer you wrong, or have you spend money on things that you dont need. Remember, whatever you do to the engine wont be noticable if you dont tune the clutch. I'm running just a pipe (w/ stock muffler), with Ricks jet kit and air box mods, and carbon fiber reed pedals - tuned the clutch with the parts Rick sent. Good tractable power, wheelie on demand, factory reliability. I was going to have rick port and polish the cylinder, shave the head, etc, etc.. and HDP custom suspension. But, my kid got into racing and I spent the money on full race mods for his 90 - port, polish, shave head, exhaust, CDI, bigger carb, clutch tuning, extended A-arms, complete elka suspension, chain tensioner, tires, air filter, handle bars, kill switches, remove electric start & oil injection, adjust timing, etc, etc,... I've been riding 20 years and he got the quad I always wanted.. It's incredable what we give up for our kids.