Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700EFI VS 660 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700EFI VS 660 Grizzly

I was trying to deside between the two because I was going to go buy one. A friend had an 04 700 EFI and I drove it and liked it. After awhile he finaly talked me into it and I bought a 700 EFI. I posted this question in the Yamaha section but no one really replied just one. What bike is honestly the better bike, stronger more durable and just all around a nicer and better bike and why?
I love the sportsman 700, it has a couple things that I don't like but can be fixed with a couple of mods. It rides smooth has lots of power and just seems very nice. I havn't been on a grizzly before so I can't compare.

Does anyone think I made the right choise going with the 700?

Old 03-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

no one has any thoughts huh?

Old 03-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

I think if you compare the spec. sheets of the two that the numbers speak for themselves. You can't really compare the ride or comfort either. I am not blindly loyal to Polaris. I could have bought whatever I wanted when I bought my 800. I have friends who own a little bit of everything. Yamahas, Suzukis, Kaws, even one Honda owner. Like you eluded to, the Polaris' aren't perfect, but for what I use an ATV for, it the best one out there. Few products we buy will suit each of us perfectly and there a alot of guys on here who lose sight of that. Most of us would like to pick all of our favorite features from the different manufacturers and build our perfect Frankenquad. Some guys are fiercely brand loyal or are unable to see past their own perspective on owning A over B. For me, reliability, strength, and comfort were extremely important. The ride and the work abilities won me over to Polaris. I just went through this comparison process again looking for a pickup/2-up quad for my wife. We looked at the Arctic Cats and Bombs as well as the X2. We have decided that, even knowing about the minor seat issues, that the X2 will best suit our needs. Another win for Polaris.

P.S. You may have to wait awhile for a response on a Saturday as most guys are either working to pay for their toys or are out playing with them. I am working now to playwhen the weather gets better.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

I traded a truck for a griz almost 5 years ago, didnt like the atv that much didnt really impress me. Now i own a 700 sportsman and i love it. Rides like a cadilac, plenty of power, and just a beast. The new grizzleys might be better than the one i owned back in the day but from what i hear, i think i will be keeping my sportsman700[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

When I bought my 700efi this year I shopped around and teh thing that keeps me coming back to the polaris is the EFI and the drive train.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

After having seat time on my 700 and my friends 660, ill say the Grizzly's are very impressive. My friend's was a '05 Special Edition Black Grizz. Anyhow, it has respectable power to get the job done, ground clearance, fun 4x4 system, and its been around for a while, but all in all, its just easier to break. My Polaris has by far a better ride, i can feel the power difference, even know its not much, more effective 4wd system, tons of more storage on '05 and up, MUCH MUCH better tires come with the PoPo that the crappy stock Grizz tires, EFI's a huge plus, so they both have their strong points, but all in all, when it really comes down to it, i think Polaris made the overall better quad. 660 vs 700efi. ( i sure don't regret getting mine )
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Winch
Sold

Old 03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a brand new 2004 700EFI a month ago and I am totally impressed. I am still breaking it in but it has enough power to haul my big butt around with ease. My boys and I did some trail riding this weekend and it really never breathes hard. It is not a nimble machine in terms of low speed turns but once at speed I was really able to push it through some high speed trail areas and never felt it was close to being over the limit. I love the automatic transmission much more then the Honda electric shift I have ridden. The only thing I really do not like is the rear end clank but it seems as much as I read everyone has it. It is an impressive machine and I totally love riding it. I have gotten it up to 40MPH and it has alot more throttle left but I think overall it is just the all round grunt it has to carry me up hills and through snow and mud that I just love. It reeks power and I love it from when I start it to when I shut it down. I have a Polaris TB250 and a Polaris SPT 90 for my boys and we are loving them.
Looking forward to towing down to St. Joe and some other places around Central Illinois.
Ride safe, Ride smart, Ride respectfully.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I can't compare the 2, but I can give you my perspective, going from Jap machines to the Polaris.

The '05 Polaris' have suspension that resembles, like others have said, a Cadillac. I remain seated while flying over old railroad ties -- it's amazing! However I wouldn't launch the thing off a tabletop....

It took me a while to get used to the handling, and noises. The machine will lean (as will a Caddie when pushed hard) when ridden aggressively. I get drivetrain noise off throttle going down a choppy hill. But I can sail through mud and over rocks. It's a big, heavy machine but it accelerates like a light one.

I'm used to it's quirks (when comparing to ultra-refined Jap machinery), and I love it. Plus it will pull 1500LBS. if I need it to.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You guys should get an Arctic Cat. (JK) just trying to get the blood flowing!

Old 03-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the Grizz.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700EFI VS 660 Grizzly