Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

BEWARE of the HAWKEYE. DANGEROUS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE of the HAWKEYE. DANGEROUS

Since I have been waiting on a new CV boot for two months, can I get the right one somewhere else? The dealer has not had any Polaris parts in for the last three weeks. A friend could help me put it on. I sure wished that I financed it, or at least used a credit card for something I cannot even use. I loved it when I had it. It had plenty of power for climbing these rocky mountains here in AZ.

The Better Business Bureau?
Serving Minnesota and North Dakota
2706 Gannon Road
Saint Paul, MN 55116-2600
(651) 699-1111
www.mnd.bbb.org

Search for Polaris

Old 12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

I found the link

I didn't think what they say is all that bad?

Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Most reports like this must be taken with a grain of salt. Some of it is just sour grapes that can never be made good. Most problems I see on this board are more dealership related than the manufactor. The sumframe problem is Polaris, but a lot of the other things are dealership. Sometime you have to think is saving $100 in the price of a quad worth it if the dealer has bad after the sale relationships.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's right, I went from one dealer I didn't like to another (exactly 30 miles in the opposite dirrection), and this one is just great. I did beat the hell out of Hawkeye with my 200 pounds, I did indeed broke them A-arm but made back into the camp anyway. Some of my up hill runs are much more risky then loosing A-arm, besides, when in risky situation, I'm kind of half sitting half standing on it, always ready to jump of if s----t happens. And what about getting flat at any moment? Or hitting a tree root, you know how that can twist your steering in an instant ... You want to feel completely safe? Ride a Cadilac or find a forest without trees ha, ha ...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ArmyHawkeye
Since I have been waiting on a new CV boot for two months, can I get the right one somewhere else? The dealer has not had any Polaris parts in for the last three weeks. A friend could help me put it on. I sure wished that I financed it, or at least used a credit card for something I cannot even use. I loved it when I had it. It had plenty of power for climbing these rocky mountains here in AZ.

The Better Business Bureau?
Serving Minnesota and North Dakota
2706 Gannon Road
Saint Paul, MN 55116-2600
(651) 699-1111
www.mnd.bbb.org

Search for Polaris
You should be able to find a cv boot easy.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JimmyHoffa
Ok, I'm a Honda rider, out to fix my friend's quad. I had NO idea the Polaris stuff was this crappy. We make fun of them in the Honda forums, but I thought it was a joke. Now I have to deal with her stupid 425 Polaris bike, that eats pullstarter hubs. Can someone tell me the name of a decent Polaris utility machine so I can give reccommendations? (Her dad's big on USA manufactured stuff, and a decent machine made by intelligent Japanese people wouldn't fly. Quite a narrow-minded mistake IMO.)
Your argument isn't fact. I three fireman that has over 4000 miles on their older 425 and all they have done is changed sprocket's and chains. The older 425 took a little more maintnes but they good machines if you do your mant. you want to know what Polaris machine are better anything from 2001 and up you cant beat um, So you argument don't hold any water.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

I really wish I knew how things went from trying to get advice on how to fix something to saying how one brand is better than the other.....ho hum.....

Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Jay dont let it bother you,,I had a woman tell me that My Hawkeye rode and looked like a Pony, im blessed to be in a situation where there are all makes of Atvs Ive also got an old honda 300 4x4 fourtrax that does okay,,but from may to august 2006 the hawkeye had no problem and never got stuck or broke..but i did see some idiots riding their Polaris atvs like wild people,,the old hawkeye had to pull a few out and made a few look bad on the 10 mile river run back to home,,SOme of these people are Aroggant and self rightous,they have an Ego that can only be ruined by countless Attempts at failure at a Pickup bed repair on four wheelers,,the knucleheads that stroke just one machine are self centered and probally broke.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Trailblazer

Update 31 December 2006: I finally got my Hawkeye out of the shop last Wednesday. I was able to find CV boot while in Phoenix and brought it to my shop. They fixed it the same day free of charge. They were still waiting on the part and had no idea when it would be in. I do feel better about the shop, but know that I should try to track down my own parts if they have problems getting them in. It might have been on back order, and the larger shop in Phoenix just had them in stock already.
We did get to ride on Thursday. I went out with my friend and his son. He just bought a Grizzley 800, and his high school aged son was riding his other non Polaris 700. They both had big storage boxes front and rear. They made my Hawkeye look like a baby. In the beginning of the ride, I told them not to smoke me in the trail and loose me. He let me lead since I have been on the trail much more. He had only ridden it once out and back a couple of weeks ago. So we started out, at about 5,000 feet of elevation, and after a fresh snowfall. I knew the upper trails would be covered and was worried about traction. It was bad enough that some spots were so steep, not to mention some spots are just bowling ball sized rocks. We all wore face masks, long johns, warms jackets and winter gloves. The start of the climbing is a bunch of zig-zags, some spots loose, others rutty from runoff. I waited at each turnoff for them to catch up. This was some rough stuff, but not enough to loose much traction. We got to the top of those, and rode a nice trail along the bottom of some cliffs, part of the higher mountains. Then we descended down to a canyon. Some spots had about 6 inches of snow and I began to trust my traction more as my Hawkeye did not slip. I had to keep waiting up to make sure they did not miss any turns. Granted that this was not a race, and I knew the trail better, but the Hawkeye was doing fine. I was wondering what would happen on the steeper parts climbing all the way up to 7,400 feet on the looser areas. They actually turned out OK. The Hawkeye climbed as usual, easy to steer as the AWD system works well, and not much slip. At some points where it was leaning over the bars steep and loose, I thought it would die, but it never gave up and climbed everything. Even when we got into deeper snow, at least 8 inches, it just kept going. I had to give it throttle on the descents, as the snow was so deep. I was even able to climb some completely covered step parts of the trail on the way back without a problem. I almost forgot to mention, at some times, we were riding in blizzard conditions. Our way back down the canyon trail, was al blizzard and cold. It was nice to warm my hands with the engine heat while waiting for the other riders.
My friend actually looked at buying a Polaris, but could not ride with me for four months since mine was in the shop. I think that if he saw what my little baby Hawkeye could do ahead of time, he would have considered it more. I did ask what the point of a huge quad was if I could do everything that they could do, and keep from being left behind. He never gave a straight answer, except that I figured that he could haul more gear. He did like the concept of integrated storage that no other brand has. OK Polaris, with my sub-frame fixed, this is the toughest ATF in its class, and T.U.F. If only it was out of the shop sooner so I could show off to this now believer.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Army im glad for you,,the little Hawkeye with a big heart always has come through for me, with Minimal problems ,,I have a cousin inlaw that always says bigger is better, the hawkeye has always gone where the bigger Atvs go and its easier to get out of a bad situation as well because of the lightness,,who needs a bigger ride and bigger dollars as well..Im glad for you. Rick

Quick Reply: BEWARE of the HAWKEYE. DANGEROUS