Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

X2 – Wife not Pleased With 2-up Seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X2 – Wife not Pleased With 2-up Seat

theBun, I asked the same question a little while ago. Now that I have my wife's X2 at home and have had the time to compare the two, no way. They used the extra wheelbase to move the engine back and the tank on the X2 drops down pretty low right about where the valve cover would be on the 800. I would have gladly paid for the tank to get the six gallon capacity on the 800. I'm just going to have to add a 3.25 gal fuel pack to try to keep up with her. And at that, I suspect that when the X2 gets broken in, I will probably still not be able to run as far as her.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys. Has anyone actually gone to a gas station and checked the capacity by pump amount, as to the correct size of the 800's gas tank? Some assume its NOT what the brochure says, (4.13 approx.), and say its bigger like maybe, 5 gallons? I havent driven mine far enough yet to check.
Ive got the Kimpex rear backseat with a gas can but, its only 1 gallon. Not going to get me very far but better than none I guess. I am a little hesitant to purchase a front laydown type gas container for the front rack, although Ive heard good things about them.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

Liam, that's a good question about the true capacity of the 800. I have a little manual pump and an empty 5 gal can at home. I may put it to the test. While I'm at it, I may do the same to the X2, although I am pretty sure that it is close to the advertised 6 gal. It was pretty tiring pouring a 5 gal can in there and having to crack open the second to fill the thing. I too am a little hesitant about the flat pack. I am concerned for the hinges on the front box. It would be nice to hear from the guys who use them.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: LawdogB2
Liam, that's a good question about the true capacity of the 800. I have a little manual pump and an empty 5 gal can at home. I may put it to the test. While I'm at it, I may do the same to the X2, although I am pretty sure that it is close to the advertised 6 gal. It was pretty tiring pouring a 5 gal can in there and having to crack open the second to fill the thing. I too am a little hesitant about the flat pack. I am concerned for the hinges on the front box.
It would be nice to hear from the guys who use them.

DITTO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

If the X-2 tank will not fit, perhaps a larger tank from another model may fit. I wonder if Polaris is aware they goofed with the tank size on the 800efi.

On long rides I carry two 2 gal regular variety plastic red gas containers. One is lashed to the left and right sides of the front rack using two bungee cords each. You won't even know they are there.
You can see my rig with just one spare 2 gal tank here - ftp://ftp.citlink.net/pub/users/bun/...s/P4080008.JPG

Maybe someone will manufacture a "long range" replacement tank at some point. I will be sure to post back if I can find a solution other than a flat pack.

thebun

Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Bun, Maybe this Sunday I will actually get to see your new toy! By the way, I may need to bum a lift from you afterall. I am still having trouble talking the Mrs. into letting go with the money for my own X2.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: theBun
If the X-2 tank will not fit, perhaps a larger tank from another model may fit. I wonder if Polaris is aware they goofed with the tank size on the 800efi.

On long rides I carry two 2 gal regular variety plastic red gas containers. One is lashed to the left and right sides of the front rack using two bungee cords each. You won't even know they are there.
You can see my rig with just one spare 2 gal tank here -
ftp://ftp.citlink.net/pub/users/bun/Secret-Pass/P4080008.JPG

Maybe someone will manufacture a "long range" replacement tank at some point. I will be sure to post back if I can find a solution other than a flat pack.

thebun
The Bun: Nice picture. I notice that you have a Jamguard radiator screen protector. What is your opinion of these?

Text

Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

liam51: I ride over some pretty nasty terrain on occasion and didn't feel that the plastic/wire screen stock radiator protector would cut it if I nosed down into a hard object like a rock. The Jamhard is strong and was a perfect fit, complete with hardware. The way it is designed to mount on a Polaris makes me confidant that if the unexpected happens or I screw up, at least my radiator will still be intact. They have some very good pictures on their site at jamhard.com.

Other than the radiator area, I think the 800 is pretty well protected underneath and I really love the ride comfort!