Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich? (updated! suggest any potential K&N owners read)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long until a K&N stops making machin run rich?

Hey guys,

question, i've put this thing in the pred and taken it out twice because both times i was like "god that thing runs like it's WAY rich!" Then i smelled the exhaust and it smelled funny... almot like i was burning oil... like... air filter oil! i hit myself in the head when i realized what was going on... The filter is obviously pre-oiled from the factory and it is still in the stage where it's burning off the excess. I don't know why my knowledge of this from my experience w/ my UNI on the scrambler didn't kick in, but for some reason i didn't think about it. Anyway, since i know people on the site have the K&N filter, how long do you have to run for the richness to go away? thanks!

Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

How much oil is on it? Did it get oiled twice? It shouldn't be oiled to the point were it makes your quad run rich if anythign it should require a larger main if anything?

Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

"Straight up horsepower" LOL should have told you that you always clean the filter before you use it and reoil it with K/N spray on oil or other good filter oil, and dont use the oil they sometimes send in the little tube it is wat too thick and does exactly as you describe too. Just clean it and reoil it. MANY people have had this problem. The filter will only attract and collect the dirt it is supposed to and make your bike run even richer. It wont get better. Clean it and reoil.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

fastestdad I'm picking up on your sarcasm.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

can you use soap & water to clean a K&N? the njust use my Klotz filter oil i used for the UNI on the scrammy? or should i buy a filter service kit from K&N? thanks for the info already!

Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

Shouldnt adding a less restrictive filter cause your machine to run LEAN

Old 04-15-2006, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider

not to be a punk, but it kinda bugs me when people reply to the title of a thread and not the tread itself, did you read what i posted or the replies? there's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why it is making my machine run RICH, rather than lean, which is outlined above. Nothing personal, i've just been attacked before for stupid wording in a title and wanted to make clear that i do know what i'm talking about. thanks for the reply tho. Ideally, yes it should make it lean... which is why i was suprised when mine did not.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich?

Change the title then

the oil on the K&N shoulnt make your engine run rich either... should smell but not change anything with the small ammounts of oil that come in even if it is on thick

Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless you have so much oil in the filter that it's running out of it, it would not make it restrick any air flow to make it richer. as far as how long it would very on riding condtions.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stendori
unless you have so much oil in the filter that it's running out of it, it would not make it restrick any air flow to make it richer. as far as how long it would very on riding condtions.
exactly... and anyone with half way common sence should know that you dont drench your air filter

Quick Reply: How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich? (updated! suggest any potential K&N owners read)