Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Trail boss 325

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trail boss 325

1) Does anyone know if sprockets can get wore unevenly? I was adjusting my chain and I noticed if I turn the wheels the chain will get real tight in some spots and have 1/2"+ play in other's. Is it time for a new chain/sprocket set?

2) Does anyone know what sprockets I would need to top out around 40mph? This thing never tops out unless i'm going down at least a small hill so I figured I might as well gear it down a little and enjoy more bottom end.

3) I have also been smelling gas real strong coming out of the exhaust. It mainly does it when the engine is fully warmed up (after I pull my dirt blade around for a half hour). What could be causing this?

4) Is 300-305 degrees at the spark plug pretty normal for these engine's? That's what I would get after pulling the blade up a somewhat steep hill.

thanks for the help

Old 04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Check the swing arm bolts and see if they're tight. Also check the carrier bearings. Haven't had that happen with mine, and it's had the sprockets broken from a rock.

You can go up a tooth in the front, or down 2 in the rear. When mine was stock, it did about 45.

Not sure about the gas, or the spark temp.

What color is your spark plug when you pull it?

Welcome to the forums.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I'll check the things you said to check.
When I actually get my engine to rev out (after the clutch if fully engaged) it does 53 or so. Like I said that is on a downhill run though. I can be at full throttle on a 1/2 mile level stretch on a gravel road and the clutch will not fully engage. I'm used to my 200 big red. When i have it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle in high gear, the engine is turning a nice rpm (kinda hard to explain). My tb will not do that though unless i'm going down hill. I'm sure you've felt it when the clutch fully engages and the engine rpm starts to rise haven't you? I know polaris probably geared it a little high so this would happen for unexperienced users, but I have enough brains to know when to stop. Do you think 1 tooth will be enough in the front? I use it mostly for utility anyway (snow plow, dirt blade, and hauling wood around on the farm) so I'm not real worried about top speed. What's the lowest I could possibly go? I do go in the sand hills and run it too though, but I think the lower gearing would really help me out there too. I can't seem to get the tires to spin enough to even drive in the sand very well. I think it's a little ridiculous how bad my tb does in the sand.

I haven't pulled my spark plug for quite a while. I was always confused about how to do this. Should I run the engine at full throttle going down the road, shut it off, slip it into neutral, coast to a stop, and pull the plug or should I just run it like normal, shut it off, and pull the plug? I know my pipe baffle has a lot of black residue on it that it didn't have before.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

For now, just pull the plug and look at it. Then put a new one in for a plug check. Full throttle for about 1/4 mile, shut it off and pull the plug.

If you want to get a little more power, call Rick Ritter at (618) 644-3211. His website is www.rittercycle.com (hyperlink isn't working). He's a really good guy and can get you set up. I got the stage 1 kit on mine and it gave it noticeable power.

The kit includes; air filter, jets, vents for airbox, pipe and clutch spring. 325 including shipping. But his customer service is outstanding.

If you want to change sprockets, got to ebay and look for sled-parts-guy. Had to get new ones when I hit a rock, and he had the best prices. If you change the sprockets, might as well do the chain too.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know how low I can go by just switching the front sprocket? Can I gear it down to around 25-30 mph top speed or am I going to have to change the rear sprocket too? I was looking at it the other day and it wouldn't be bad at all just changing the sprockets in the winter for snow or whenever I needed the low gearing. Could you give me your educated guess on what I would need to accomplish this 25-30 mph top speed?

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to run gear oil in my rear bearing carrier? It seems like grease is kinda over-doing it. I would think changing it out to 80w-90 would make a noticeable difference..

Thanks

Old 05-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Your not going to find a front sprocket alone to get the gearing that low. If you just want to keept the top speed down, a throttle limiter would be better. 10 tooth I think is a small as they make for it. Stock is 11.

Don't quite get what you mean by "over-doing" it. Haven't had any problem with mine at all. I think it would make quite a noticeable difference, but not in a good way.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

I would check the chain for unequal stretching. That could explain your 1) problem. My wife stretched her chain in minutes by running through some very thick guey mud and getting it jammed into the chain and sprockets. It got jammed so bad it stopped her quad. I was suprised at how quickly a chain could stretch.
Bryce

Old 05-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Try this:

Change plug, Clean air filter (don't over oil), Clean your clutch and compare your belt with new at dealer, Remove chain and soak in motor oil (blow it off with comp. air), Keep lubing your carrier cause it uses allot of grease the way you are using the quad, call Rick Ritter, tell him what you want it to do in the sand and farm, get the new primary spring ($20.) that he recommends for the clutch, search this Polaris forum on how to change it.

It sounds like you could tell if your sprockets are bad or not. If bad, change them out and add new chain (keep new one clean and lubed).

If you have the $ go for the Stage One Kit from Rick (good stuff).

I'll be off the forum for a week or so but the other guys will cover me if you have a ? on my reply. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
Your not going to find a front sprocket alone to get the gearing that low. If you just want to keept the top speed down, a throttle limiter would be better. 10 tooth I think is a small as they make for it. Stock is 11.

Don't quite get what you mean by "over-doing" it. Haven't had any problem with mine at all. I think it would make quite a noticeable difference, but not in a good way.
The reason I want to slow it down is for utility purposes, not for speed. I want to be at top rpm when I am going around 25-30 mph. A throttle limiter would be worthless on this quad because if you were climbing or doing anything that required power you would be in trouble w/o the option to use full throttle.

The reason I would like to put gear oil in the carrier is to bring the resistence down. 60,000 lb+ semi trailer's use gear oil in their hubs so there's no reason that it won't work in a quad. I only wonder if the seals will hold up. I was thinking about getting another carrier and drilling the hole out for the zerk and installing a plug of some kind w/ a vent so I can just put gear oil in. Does anyone know if the seals will hold up or will they leak? I really believe this will make a very noticeable difference in performance. If i jack up the back of my quad and rev it up to where the tires are turning a fast rpm and slip the tranny into neutral the tires stop almost immediately. Maybe my bearings are getting bad, but I think the grease has more to do with it. Has anyone else tried this on their tb? If someone that knows they have a good drivetrain w/ good bearings could try this for me it would be great.

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
I would check the chain for unequal stretching. That could explain your 1) problem. My wife stretched her chain in minutes by running through some very thick guey mud and getting it jammed into the chain and sprockets. It got jammed so bad it stopped her quad. I was suprised at how quickly a chain could stretch.
Bryce
That's the answer I was looking for. I didn't even think of that. That makes a lot more sense than the sprockets wearing out of round. I bet that's the problem w/ my chain.
thanks

Originally posted by: Lukester
Try this:

Change plug, Clean air filter (don't over oil), Clean your clutch and compare your belt with new at dealer, Remove chain and soak in motor oil (blow it off with comp. air), Keep lubing your carrier cause it uses allot of grease the way you are using the quad, call Rick Ritter, tell him what you want it to do in the sand and farm, get the new primary spring ($20.) that he recommends for the clutch, search this Polaris forum on how to change it.

It sounds like you could tell if your sprockets are bad or not. If bad, change them out and add new chain (keep new one clean and lubed).

If you have the $ go for the Stage One Kit from Rick (good stuff).

I'll be off the forum for a week or so but the other guys will cover me if you have a ? on my reply. Good luck.

Ok, I changed the plug and it seems like it got rid of most of my hesitation problems. Is that screw on the carb (the one w/ the ribbed part for adjusting) just the idle screw or does it adjust the idle fuel flow also? My air filter is not the washable type. I'll probably get a K&N before too long. I'll do that with the belt. I lube my carrier about every 3-5 hours. I'll probably have to give Rick a call. It sure sounds like he's a good guy. The problem is that I already have a pipe and an epi pink primary spring (I just put it in 2 days ago--did a lot of reading and a lot of people seem to like it--I'm still sceptical it didn't seem to change too much, but i'll give it time). I don't know if he will be able to help me, but I'll give him a call sometime anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

That is the idle screw you're referring to. The air mix screw is kind of under the carb, and if it hasn't been adjusted before, should have a plastic plug covering it. Just carefully drill the plug out, and you'll see the actual adjuster screw.

The seals are what I was referring to about it being trouble.

You're going to have to do some work on the clutching to adjust the power/speed you're looking to get. The epi pink actually gives you a little more top end. Don't know if it will help you or not, but I can send you the Polaris spring chart later today when I get back to the house. Let me know if you need it.

Really sounds like you'll be changing weights, and the primary spring. Something to consider, buying a used clutch, and reworking it to what you need. Just in case you decide to go out and ride some trails, you can always switch it back.