Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hauling the ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 10:34 AM
rdr
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a 3/4 ton Ford. I load my Sp 500 and a Trailblazer 250 on a rack on top of my bed. The rack weighs about 3-400 pounds. The SP about 700 and the Tb about 400(?) then I have my daughters Yamaha TT90 strapped to the front bumper. I then pull a 24 Ft travel travel trailer. By the time I throw in gas and the ramps and what ever else in the bed of my truck I am probably carrying almost a ton. The trailer then weighs about 6000 lbs wet.

I have a 3 inch lift on my truck and run 35 inch tires. I bought a pair of 10 foot folding ramps, to drive the machines up topside. I have no problem driving freeway speeds and can handle most grades pretty well.

Both machines are strapped with a pair of ratchet tie downs. I wont settle for any thing less. The only time I has nervous about hauling them this way was on a twisty moutain road after I dropped the travel trailer. I had to remember to watch my speeds.

Old 11-20-2000, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention that 2 heavy Sportsman 500 would still be within the capability of the racks systems. One of the 3 that I mentioned (Saf-tload) asks what kind of ATV's you have, and beef up the rack based on your answer. The other 2 are already rated to handle the weight, but your truck may not be. My rack is 135lbs, plus 600lbs for my Ruby, and 500lbs for my wife's Trailboss. Just remember to air up your tires (not at 32psi), and drive accordingly.

Old 11-21-2000, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I realize that a 1/2ton pickup can haul 2 ATV's (and even haul a trailer). But that would mean your are exceeding the rated capacity of your pickup truck. 2 ATV's weighing 500lbs a piece is a half-ton (1000lbs, give or take a few pounds), plus the tongue weight from the trailer has you exceeding the rating for your truck (and maybe even your tires). You may be able to tow for the life of the pickup without any failures, but then maybe not. Also, just a warning (I'm not preaching), but if you are involved in an accident while overloaded (exceeding posted ratings for your truck), you could experience additional legal problems, both from law enforcement, as well as from your insurance company. This was discussed heavily in a truck-based web page, with some of these eye-opening comments made from some of the law-enforcement types who are members.