Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

splitfire sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone running splitfires? A few people(none who seem to bright to me) said they burn holes in the tops of pistons quick-like. It seems to me if you get the same heat range you'd be safe. Anyone know? Thanks for any advice.....

Old 11-20-2000, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

faster

I am running a splitfire in my 425 Magnum and have not had any trouble with it yet. I went by the splitfire reference book and got the same heat range as the factory NGK plug. For the extra money it cost, I have not noticed any performance gain. I will probably go back to the NGK plug when I change it out again. I am not sure if it would affect a 2 cycle any different than it would my 4 cycle.

Old 11-20-2000, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

Save your money.Splitfire plugs are just a gimmick.The testimonials you see or read would be just as happy if they had changed to NGK,Champion or whatever.The point being they needed to change plugs.ANY plug will make an improvement if the old plug(s) are worn out or fouled.I worked in motorcycle dealership for many years and have yet to see any proof to the contrary. SEC

Old 11-20-2000, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Have tried the splitfires on dirt bikes in the past. The only difference I ever saw between them and the standard NGK was they cost more.

Old 11-20-2000, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

I asked a similiar question on the Honda forum a few months back & the general consensus was don't get the split fire plug. The split fires do not give you a performance gain & are not worth
the money.

Old 11-20-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, they all make a spark, I guess. I think I'll just index the next one (probably NGK) and maybe gain .3 horses. Thanks a lot!!

Old 11-20-2000, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

A spark is a spark is a spark, no matter how you build plugs, or what composition the electrode is, or whose name is on it. I still go back to Champions, regardless. I don't believe there will ever be better market for hooking vehicle owners than plugs, oils, filters, and fuel additives. Save your money folks.

Old 11-22-2000, 03:29 AM
Trailblazer

Here is what the FTC said about Split-Fire's claims.
http://www.ftc.gov/os/1997/9705/c3737.do.htm

Old 11-22-2000, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

As I said before, a spark is a spark is a spark. Had a chance to read the article, where it plainly states that no performance increase or fuel economy improvent can be claimed with the use of Splitfire plugs. Same thing goes with Platinum or Stainless steel or gold plated or whatever. Sure, a platinum plug will last longer, but just how long? If your like me, you change consumable parts alot quicker than waiting for the expected life to end. As in brake pads, which is another whole new topic on this forum.

Old 11-23-2000, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I agree SWAC, a spark is a spark is a spark. As an electrician by trade, I have thought about this. Electricity always takes the path of least resistence. So, if one of the tips on the electrode of a splitfire is gaped just a hair more then the other, the spark will not travel to that point. It will travel to the closer, less resistant point. You will have the same spark as a regular, single electrode plug anyway.
The same thing goes for these new Bosch +4 plugs, just gimmicks.
Providing you have healthy, clean plugs in your machine, you will not notice any difference going to a $10 plug over a $2 plug. Except a lighter wallet.

Quick Reply: splitfire sparkplugs