Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gun racks on Polaris 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000 | 11:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

We recently bought a Sportsman 500 HO for farm work. We have added a Polaris expanded metal front basket and a high rack extender on the rear.

I am thinking about using this machine for hunting coyotes this winter. The machine will be used to take me out in the field for calling. There may be an occasional jump shot but no chasing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what gun racks will work the best with the Sportsman and this configuration? I have been told that the handling characteristics of each ATV is affected by gun racks a little differently, especially when considering handle bar mounts.

Based on the big pain in the neck the handle for Polaris plow is, I would think gun boots would be as equally aggravating. (Got my winch so the handle will be going)

I welcome all thoughts but would also like to hear from those with actual experience with racks on the 500.

DD

Old 11-20-2000 | 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just put scope covers on & carry my rifle on a sling. If you put the gun in front of you instead of behind, it will be pretty well protected. The reasons I do this are simple. The gun boots that are weatherproof are BIG. Some carry the gun along the fender, making it harder to get on & off the machine when you aren't hunting, the ones that clamp to the handlebars are also in the way when not hunting. Also if you go under just one tree, you will be surprised how many branches seek out your delicate scope to smack.
What I think I will do this year, is get one of those $10 gun 'socks'. I will slide it over the gun, and cut two tiny holes where the sling studs are. I will put the gun in it, and connect the sling through the holes. This way the sock will completely cover the gun, yet the sling will be accesible for use. When calling, just unhook the sling, pull the sock off, hook it back up & start squaking! From what I understand, the silicone treated socks are pretty weatherproof. Just dry them out when you get back to the house!
The main reason I don't use a 'rack' is because we check cows in trees & they seem to catch as you go under & around branches. This might not be a problem for you.

Old 11-20-2000 | 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

DDGofer

You didn't say what kind of gun you will be carrying? You can tell us, there is very few liberal gun haters in this forum. Anyway, if you are using a scoped rifle with a bipod (like my varmit rifle) it will not fit into the gun boots that completely enclose the gun. I would recommend using the gun holders that mount to the front rack. This way, it is easier access and you can keep an eye on it when you are motoring along. If you put it behind you and it comes loose, who knows where your rifle will end up. I would not worry that the location of the mount affecting handling. The Sp500 has a stiff enough suspension that a 10lb gun and mount will not affect it enough to notice.

Old 11-20-2000 | 08:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Are you saying cross shoulder sling the rifle? I tried the single shoulder sling carry and of course that didn't work. I have considered the cross shoulder carry but didn't think the gun would be handy enough for jump shooting.

I do like the EBO on the Sportsman, you can stop darn quick if you spook something inroute.

The tree thing you mentioned that reaches out and grabs things is that some sort of animal you have there in NE? I don't think we have any of them tree things here on the Montana prairie...

DD

Old 11-20-2000 | 08:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I have a Remington M700 VLS in .223 with a Leupold 12X AO. The gun and scope package weigh about 11 lbs.

The handle bar mount seems the most logical place for the occasional jump shot. The problem with a rack mount is that add on basket. Where do I mount the rack?

So you don’t think that mounting a gun rack on the handlebars and adding an 11-lb. rifle is going to effect handling of the Sportsman? Of course I won’t be riding like I am in the Grand National or anything, but I am concerned about mobility and slowed steering response.

It’s nice to have a place to go and talk with someone who has experience and not have to go the hard route.

By the way, just for the record I think rifles are like ATV’s if you are afraid to get them scratched or dirty you shouldn’t have one…

DD

Old 11-20-2000 | 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

DDGofer

Since you have the additional items on both the front and rear racks, I think you are stuck putting the rifle on the handle bars. I still don't think you would be happy putting the rifle in a Koplin gun boot as it takes a little effort to get it out and jump shots would be out of the question. I would try the gun holders on the handlebars and if you don't like them there, I would attach them to the front basket. I still do not think that the gun will affect your steering any. 11 pounds is not enough to affect handling. Your front basket and whatever you put in it will have more of an affect than your gun will. Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2000 | 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I carry mine across the back, or across the chest if I think the gun needs more protection. For quick jump shooting (like when a coyote runs out from the bush you just came to) I have a trick. I put a life-jacket buckle in the sling strap. I noticed in my last post I didn't mention that. I just called it a quick release. I meant a quick release in the strap, not the kind on the swivel studs. When something pops out in front of me, I grab the brake. When almost stopped, stomp the rear, and grab your rifle. It should be right in front of your chest, with the barrell pointing up & left if you are right handed. Grab the front of the stock with your left hand. Release the life jacket buckle, & you should have the gun ready almost as soon as you get good and stopped. Experiment where you want the buckle. I like it to be just below the trigger, so as soon as it pops loose, I can grab with my right hand & slide it right up to the trigger. When driving sitting down, the gun will rest against your leg, but as long as you don't drive too radical, you will be fine.
I still plan to try the gun sock thing for when going calling if snow is swirling around.
Good hunting!
I agree about not worrying about scratching your rifle or scope, but around here we have 'tree creatures' that would likely grab your gun and throw it on the frozen ground, especially in the thick areas where the coyotes hide if it sticks up or out at all.

PS the thing I like best about my system is it works and costs next to nothing.
If you try it, once you get the buckle where you want it, sew the straps or use a soldering iron to burn a hole thru it (if it is Nylon - use a punch if it is leather) and put one of those sling studs through to keep it in place.

Let us know what finally works

Old 11-21-2000 | 11:07 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well it looks like handle bar mounts will be the first try. Are there any handle bar mounts that don't work especially well with the Sportsman.

Or even more specifically are there handle bar mounts that don’t work? Any "better" handle bar mounts?

That quick release buckle idea is slick. I’ll look for one today when I go to the big city.

My wife, last night after reading the posts here, came up with a good idea. Does anyone make a shooting platform or table that attaches to the Sportsman?

This is an encouraging sign. When we decided to get an ATV it was only justified for doing the light farm work that is required around this place. Now she’s talking about taking it gopher hunting. Saves on gas from using the pick-up you know. That could only mean a second Sportsman, yes!

DD

Old 11-21-2000 | 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check out the post under the Hunting forum concerning "Bubbaquick". This is a strap system that several members have tried out. Web site is "www.bubba-q.com"

Safety is a question if riding near trees, but in the open it looks pretty useful.

Old 11-21-2000 | 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Clear off that front rack.
The rack mounted u-shaped holders
work great. I stuff my thickly padded case into
them and leave the zipper open at the right hand
stock end. I can get my Browning out in a flash.
I have a very flexible type with rubber ribs
that hold the case great. I leave the rubber top
strap loose on the right side and secure the left
side with an extra bungee cord. That rifle just
sits in there like it was a warm bed.
Browning A-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag with Boss, stainless
with composite stock. Leopold stainless 3-9.
This is the setup I use for wandering desert lands
looking for the occasional coyote. Mostly I like
the riding. I have used other varmit type stuff
but I keep coming back to this rifle because
it reaches out there a loooong ways with no
surprises. I use Federal Premium plastic tipped
rounds that seem to be unaffected by wind and
drops in a very predictable pattern.

Quick Reply: Gun racks on Polaris 500 HO