Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400's are junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quadfather,

A follow up on the post re: front end changes on the Scram 400 on the 01' model. After checking
on some prices I can get a 2000 for as little as $4400 would it be better to upgrade the questionable components later or just get a 01'
Any thought or comments would be appreciated!

Later,

Triston

Old 11-30-2000, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

The main improvements for 01, from what I know, are the steering stem bushings, and improved tie rod ends. I think they also improved steering effort (on some models anyway) Add improved brakes, and that is pretty much it.
The steering stem can be repalced with a 'forever' HPD unit - about $35 to $40 plus labor. The tie rod ends can be upgraded to the new style when the old ones wear out. Severe duty brake pads are available, and fairly easy to install.
I would seriously consider buying it if the dealer will supply the labor to replace the plastic steering stem bushing with the HPD unit. It isn't that 'hard' to do, but requires either some specialized tools (right angle drill, at the least) or a LOT of disassembly work. The brakes and tie rod ends are easy enough to do yourself, and the brakes will hold up fairly well if you drive mostly on dry, mud & water seems to soften them, making them wear out quickly.

Old 11-30-2000, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

One more post, just to get this out of my system.
In all fairness to Chub, I think he is a decent enough guy who just got off on the wrong foot. His initial post, declaring Scramblers as Junk, kind of got everyone on the defensive.
Sad to say it, but most of what he said had some truth to it. Fortunately, most of the problems have been fixed on the newer models (save for the weight).

Chub, remember, alot of these guys put a lot of time & effort into making their 'baby' just what they want it to be. To insult their pride and joy is not the way to make friends. If your post had been labeled 'problems with Scrambler' and your message had simply labeled your problems, I'm sure you wouldn't have been flamed nearly so bad. You likely would have gotten advice on how to correct the problems.
For the record, Polaris must have recognized your problems, because they upgraded most of the shortcomings of the machine but the extra weight.

Old 11-30-2000, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chub For your information, the scrambler 400 2x4 and 4x4 are pretty high quality. I at a polaris dealership and let me tell you, I have seen the worst piles of junk that I will ever see. We had a 400 ex come in and had some repairs to do on it. We started it up and the motor may be strong but that quad would throw you every which way when you ride and shift. It jerked when shifted and just litterally a wothless pile of junk. For your information the new scrambler 4x4's now have shaft drive to the front and chain to the rear. Every year polaris improves its machines and listens to customers for complaints. They make every effort possible to listen. My quad is a 99 sport 400. I have made some modifications to it and let me tell you that thing will fly off of any jump you take it over. There are adjustments on the suspention that can be made to satisfy the rider. The transmission on the polaris is the best idea I have ever seen. I watch the other sport quads go into corners and try to shift down and make a mistake and hit the wrong gear. The polaris is automatic so all that is done is brake and hit the thorotle no shifting required. If you don't have anything good to say then move to your room for the quad that you ride. you have no business in this forum. you take your foriegn garbage and go.

Old 11-30-2000, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

whats that old saying...one mans trash is another mans treasure. I gotta agree with most of these guys chub, at least the ones with a newer scrambler. I got a 98 400 and for the type of ridin I do its held up great. it can climb most anything, and with some very reasonable mods its quick.Maybe Im gettin old but its sure "sporty" enough for me, and I for one WOULD reccomend it for anyone who is gonna do more riding than just around a track.(guess you can tell I dont race huh!) Besides isnt it all about the fun of riding anyway? Forcast is calling for more snow, cant wait for my friday night ride(oh yeh some of you cant ride in snow, LOL ) take care Bob

Old 12-01-2000, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Well you see sport, I know how to use a clutch and how to shift so I don't experience the problems you do with the 400ex. Another interesting thing is the dealership I worked at very happily dumped the line of Polaris quads they carried when Bombardier came out with their new models. just because I ruffled feathers I stick by everything I said. Oh, and why would you want a new Scrambler that is half shaft drive, half chain? Sounds half a@#.

Old 12-01-2000, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Chub~
You must work at one of those dealerships that everybody on these forums compain about. Why in God's name would any dealer drop the second leading ATV manufacturer for something with 2 models? Seems like a step backwards to me. That half shaft, half chain drive-to the more educated minds known as the concentric drive system- was simply to reduce maintainance. It eliminated tightening of the rear chain as the suspension compressed and it also eliminated 2 chains. But would you tell us, why did your dealer drop the Polaris line for the Bombardier line??

Old 12-01-2000, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Chub bobadier only has two models to choose from. Polaris on the other hand is a totally different quad than the other brands. Polaris is not known for racing or high performance. But I will let you know that right now as mine is I would waist what ever you decide to get over the polaris. On the topic of half shaft and chain drive, They did this modification in order to get more power to the rear wheels and to reduce the maintanence on the drive chains. The rear chain is concentric drive which means that you don't have to tie down the rear end to tighten the rear chain and it is always tight when riding. This is the best improvment that polaris has made on the chain drive models yet.

Old 12-01-2000, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Scram5004x4. Not a single problem. Polaris has to be doing something right, as they are the second best selling atv. My dealer, Dirty Harry's, is the NUMBER ONE atv dealership in the nation. They sell more atvs than any other dealership(regardless of brand). This was documented in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It also noted that Pa. is only second in atv deaths,behind California! Scary!

Old 12-02-2000, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have 2 polaris quads, ride them hard, no problems. Last time I looked at the motors on them they were made in Japan. Same as the front end on my Harley. Now did we hear you right! Talking bad about JAP products. Shame on you.