Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400's are junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 03:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a 400 Scrambler and it was the biggest pile I had ever seen. The electrical system used spade connectors to connect to the junction box that was not protected from the weather or water. The only thing that shielded it was a plastic nosecone that was part of the front fenders. This did not keep water from splashing onto the box and corroding the connectors. The machine used three chains to provide fourwheel drive and it was pain to service and maintain. I had not seen such an antiquated system since the Honcho came out in '84. The machine did not ride very well and the handled like an overloaded dumptruck. The frame was not balenced and that on top of the excessive weight made for a machine that you ddn't want to try and jump. It didn't wheelie for anything unless you started from a dead stop and then it was super awkward and difficult to balence. The power wasn't very impressive for a 400cc two stroke and I was surprised to find that the engine counterbalencer used it's own oil supply. The electric starter motor was located at the lowest point of the engine which was a completely asinine design for an off-road vehicle. The body plastic used about a thousand hardware store grade fasteners which rusted and made the removal of the fenders extremely time consuming. The frame was way too big and had strange ergos. The frame itself resembled something off a lawn tractor and made the machine bulky, very heavy and hard to work on. For anyone who considers Polaris I would have to say that they are extremely nieve or are a totally non-aggressive rider who is into utility work. It should be illegel that Polaris can market these machines as sport quads. They are nowhere near capable of filling that role. People are crazy not to buy one of the big fours machines as they are far better quality, up to 100lbs lighter and will last far longer than a poorly crafted Polaris. The one thing Polaris has going for it which helps sell unit is because they sell a patriotic image of the Made in the USA company. This is one area where Made in the USA does not ad up to the best machine. Also Polaris seems to be able to sell its machines for less money than the Japanese quads.

Old 11-20-2000, 04:09 AM
Trailblazer

What year was your 400 and what do u ride now?

Old 11-20-2000, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

Chub,
I sincerely hope you enjoy whatever you have to replace your Scrambler. I however, wouldn't trade mine. I have ridden on a moto-track with a Banshee and Warrior and kept right with them. I have also taken my 400 4x4 places in the mountains of Alaska those bikes wouldn't be able to go. I agree, it's not built to jump houses. It does have it's limits as do the others. So, unless you have some constructive input, I invite you to use the forum of the bike you now own. Why waste your time criticizing a quad you no longer own when you could be channeling that energy toward helping someone with the same quad you are apparently happier with now? Good luck, and happy riding.

Old 11-20-2000, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

HAHAHA...scramblers are junk...HAHA, Listen here CHUBBY you think you can waltz right in here and say scramblers are junk on a polaris forum.
Your far from being right a long with everything else you said. I own a scrambler 400 2x4 and it must be junk I only rolled it down a hill, ran into a tree at 30mph up hill, pulled a bronco thats 300lbs over what my machines regulated for and it still runs as good as when I first bought. The things even junkier considing after all the abuse the belt looks like its barely been used.
Those machines made in HO-CING-MING land must be far superior to my AMERICAN built machine...YA RIGHT!!!LOL.

LONG LIVE POLARIS

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 11-20-2000, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Chub your are an idiot plain and simple, we don't care what you think and really I personally am glad you are not a fellow Polaris owner anymore. We don't need people like you driving Polaris atv's.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree that the Scrambler isn't in the same class as the true 'sport' or racing machines. It was never meant to be. It was built to be a fast, fun, 4x4 runaround. If looked upon in this light, it is an excellent machine. A Banshee is faster, a 250R is more nimble, but neither is as much fun going through deep mud or snow with.
As for being junk, I would have to disagree with that. The only problems I have seen with a Polaris personally have to do with abuse or lack of maintanence. The electrical connections you talk so lowly of are now sealed. The old ones are no problem either if you put a little dilectric grease on them to keep the water out. Takes 10 minutes & only have to do it once. The new ones only have one chain, also. Just my opinion.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

First Chub, your spelling blows, that's the first clue that you're an idiot. Second, why would you buy the machine in the first place, it obviously had none of the qualities you were looking for in a quad.

Old 11-20-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Why then do some people enjoy them??
I don't have one, and wouldn't get one simply because it's not sporty enough, but my riding friend has one, and he likes it...is he so dumb not to see that his "scrambler 400 is a junk"??? I wouldn't think.
Sure that if you thought you would get on an MX quad, you must have felt bad.
BTW, who cares you didn't like your scram?

Old 11-20-2000, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds fiesty

Old 11-20-2000, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

I'm an idiot? Why, because I pointed out a long list of dificiencies with the product? I haven't heard anything that rebuts what I said aside from thoughtless put downs and personal attacks. Let's see, my '96 Wolverine has exhibited none of the problems that my '95 Scrambler had and has been a far superior machine. As far as me posting, I kind of thought that this is what the forums were for. Perhaps I can get through to a new buyer and let them know that Polaris does not make reliable products and they should shop elsewhere. I bought the Scrambler because it was labled a sport/utility machine and was hyped up in a lot of the magazines. Gee, I didn't know I was supposed to lower my expectations of the sport side and instead concentrate on utility. Seems like there is something wrong there. I guess I should have also lowered my expectations of overall quaility and durability and not compared it to the Japanese machines I had owned previously. What the experience showed me was that Polaris makes pieces of junk that do not hold a candle in terms of quality, durability and reliability to the Japanese quads. In short the Scrambler was overweight, hard to maintain, shoddly built, weak for a 400cc two stroke, didn't handle, top heavy, too large, strangly designed and not at all dependable!

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400's are junk