Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MV 7

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MV 7

well i just took delivery of my MV7 and i'm overall impressed, altho i didn't notice until i got it home that two lug nuts are missing...argh! This is my 1st post here and hope to learn lots about this machine. I have ridden for years a Suzuki king quad and what i like about that bike is the ultra-low gear set and positive locking front diff. Got some lug nuts and took the MV to play in some gullys behind the house tonight and got it twisted up good and when i hung the LF tire in the air, it just spun around and the RF tire didn't move at all.. so i take it the AWD deal is not a true front locker? After about 20 minutes of riding, the electric fan kicked on-- is the normal?

Still ,the wifey wife loves it and thats making my life better.

So, hello! and we'll see ya on the trail...

mark in reno, nv

Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default MV 7

you have to have the AWD switch on for one thing. secondly, polaris' 4x4 system only kicks in if the rear wheels spin a quarter turn further than the fronts, then the magnets lock up in the front differential and you get full locked power in all 4 corners, then when the system sences that there is no longer any slipage, it shuts off to keep a light front end.

i know that this may be conserning, it is to alot of people, but it actually works fantastic, the transision is seamless, and in my 6 years of beating the hell out of polaris 4x4 systems, its never failed me yet, and in actuality, polaris quads usually make the best mudders next to Arctic Cat

the electric fan came on because your motor was running warm, all machines, japanese or american do it.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MV 7

thanks for the reply. yes, it was in AWD low range. the rear tires were firmly wedged in a gully and when they slipped, the front kicked in, but oinly the tire in the air would turn.. the RF was on the ground and remained still. I'm used to a locking fromnt acting immediately-- like the ARBs on my jeep. Hummm... more seat time and some torture testing are in order-- the trails here are steep, rocky and require a lot of technical driving. The fan coming on so soon was a concern... i only rode it around the block and it kicked on...

Guess the old POS king quad had me spoiled-- if i were in a jam in the rocks, i'd come to all stop, engage the front mechanical locker and crawl out. My buddy has two ATPs and we've flogged and beat them to near death and they still run great, so its a learning curve here i guess. We're otherwise very pleased with the MV-- altho there seems to be a dearth of available assessories. Now we're building an adjacent shop/club house to store all the toys-- king quad, banshee, XR600 thumper and my rock crawler Jeep.

How do u like ur Rubicon? My neighbor just beefed up his Rubicon Unlimited-- 37" MTRs, long arm suspension and grafted in a bada$$ Hemi motor--we'll see next month how it handles on the real Rubicon Trail, about an hour drive from here.

mark

Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default MV 7

one of the biggest things to get used to is the single lever breaking on the sportsmans, the MV is a near direct copy of the MV the US government orderd for the army. the only differences is the rollcage/gun mount and infared headlights. these things have drivin over land mines designed to take out Tanks and they were tough enough to save the driver, get parts replaced and keep rolling in the battlefield.

i love my jeep, i havent been able to use it alot lately cuz i wont be driving to school till next summer, there are no more parking spots. but its really nice, the axle locks work fantastic and the 4:1 transfercase is ungodly. I have an AFE stage 2 intake on it, and it sounds awesome. im planning a 3.5" Rubicon Express suspension with some OME shocks and mount some 35x16x12.50 BFG Mudrunner M/T's. thats just a small list, i have alot planned, but i cant afford it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

till then, my jeep can still beat all the other guys'

Old 05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default MV 7

Something is not right with your MV 7. If your front end was engaged then both tires should have been spinning. That's just the way the polaris works. I'd head back to the dealer if yours is acting like a 3 wheel drive.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MV 7

On The MV 7 when AWD is locked up all wheels should spin, However if the machine starts spinning the front wheels will grab momentarily to help. This happens even if you are not in AWD, Also we have replaced 2 front CV joint same side, 2 rear wheel bearings,One Clutch,and the damn head lights is always lose,(broken in side). we also had to replace 2 small gears in the transmission for the shifting ( to much force and bad brake adjustment).
Ken

Old 05-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default MV 7

your front wheels should never have power untill the AWD switch is flipped, it sounds like you have a short

Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default MV 7

This is what the dealer told us. We have never seen it in action. but he also claims it is only on the MV7. Why I have no clue. We either have it stuck,or trying to get it stuck.
Then wishing we wheren't stuck.
Ken

Old 05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default MV 7

Originally posted by: solid_fun
On The MV 7 when AWD is locked up all wheels should spin, However if the machine starts spinning the front wheels will grab momentarily to help. This happens even if you are not in AWD, Also we have replaced 2 front CV joint same side, 2 rear wheel bearings,One Clutch,and the damn head lights is always lose,(broken in side). we also had to replace 2 small gears in the transmission for the shifting ( to much force and bad brake adjustment).
Ken

Do you have an MV700 Ken? How do you like it?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default MV 7

Originally posted by: RARECJ8
well i just took delivery of my MV7 and i'm overall impressed, altho i didn't notice until i got it home that two lug nuts are missing...argh! This is my 1st post here and hope to learn lots about this machine. I have ridden for years a Suzuki king quad and what i like about that bike is the ultra-low gear set and positive locking front diff. Got some lug nuts and took the MV to play in some gullys behind the house tonight and got it twisted up good and when i hung the LF tire in the air, it just spun around and the RF tire didn't move at all.. so i take it the AWD deal is not a true front locker? After about 20 minutes of riding, the electric fan kicked on-- is the normal?

Still ,the wifey wife loves it and thats making my life better.

So, hello! and we'll see ya on the trail...

mark in reno, nv

How is the machine working out for you now?