Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Greenies are responsible for the flooding in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Greenies are responsible for the flooding in New Orleans

I was listening to NPR (National Public radio) today and they had a special on the flooding in New Orleans caused by Katrina. Apparently, when the Army Corp of Engineers reworked the levy system around New Orleans in 1965, the plan included storm gates at the connection between the ocean and Lake Ponchatrain. The storm gates were meant to be closed during storms and hurricanes to stop the storm surge from entering Lake Ponchatrain. These same gates are what protects Holland and England during storms. They are also being built to potect Venice. Apparently, had these storm gates been build and closed, New Orleans would not have flooded. However, it seems that environmental groups kept the Army Corp of Engineers in court up till 1985 blocking the building of these storm gates. Finally after 20 years, in court the Army Corp of Engineers gave up.

It is ironic that an environmetal group that is so concerned about the environment was responsible for not only billions of dollars destruction and loss of many lives, but they were also responsible for one of the most environmental devastating messes that resulted from the cleanup of New Orleans.

One reason I am somewhat up in arms about this is that the Army Corp of Engineers is taking a beating for this problem, yet they were never able to finish the job. Furthermore, they are being exonerated by the ongoing review of the original construction. I am a boater, and I see first hand the good that the Army Corp of Engineers does. So I am somewhat miffed at this news.

Here is a link to the NPR story

What do you guys think?
Bryce

Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Greenies are responsible for the flooding in New Orleans

I will throw 2 cents in- First off its not any goverment branchs fault about the flooding. I am a firm beliver in God and think if it was his will that it would have happened no matter what man does on this earth to try to stop his work. But if pointing fingers is what people want to do then they should point it at themselfs, they had warnings and all kinds or school buses to carry people out of harms way before it hit instead the buses where left and where flooded. People wanted to stay there and wasnt concerned about any thing till it hit then started crying and blame the goverment. JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country. " I guess what im saying is if someone tells me theres a storm coming that will be bad enough to flood and blow everything away I think I just might move to higher ground and away from the strong winds. No matter what you do its always going to have weakness. Titanic, World Trade Center, there is more but that should tell you that nothing is perfect and this world can be cruel. When they say theres a tornado warning I go to the basement, I dont wait till the house is blown away then cry for help if it doesnt show up right after it happens. No matter how prepaired you are its never enough. But I will say its the goverments fault for letting the price hikes at the pumps from the hurricane keep going on. To many kick backs and investments from our elected officals from the oil companys to convince me other wise. IMO just one mans thoughts.