Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 300 explorer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 300 explorer

I have owned a 300 polaris explorer for about 8 years now. It is a 1996 model. I got a good deal second hand. I was wondering if some one could tell me what is wrong with this thing. I was riding it pushing snow. It started sounding like it was running out of gas. I slacked up on the throttle some. When I slowed down for the turn it got worse and cut off. I thought it was a plug problem. The plug is firing great. It seems to be getting gas as well. Does some one have a suggestion for me. I was wondering if the bottom crank seals or bearings may have got bad and let the pressure out the bottom part not pushing it to the top. Please help if you can.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your reverse speed limeter is kicking in when it should'nt. Disconnect the black wire from the module to see if the problem goes away first. Possibly there is moisture in the throttle block where the etc switch is or the switch itself is bad or the speed limeter module is bad. The module is under the front cover behind the oil tank in a real handy place. Under normal operation it should not be getting voltage to the wht wire or the etc switch is normally open. Throttle cable slack it would be closed.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. Well It won't run at all though now. Would that cause this problem. I have by passed the limiter any way. It makes it more fun in reverse. I push snow and needed the 4 wheel drive in reverse and it is hard to keep holding the bottun all the time. If I don't get it fixed or figured out I may sell it and see about a nother one. It kind of got me stumped though. I wish I had more time to mess with it. Any other suggestions charlie. I check that one out and make sure.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

did you find out what was wrong. I also own a xpress and have been having a problem sort of like this

Old 09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for not replying. I got hurt and haven't had a chance to work on it lately. I did find the problem. It seems the compression was not as good as orginally thought. I tore the motor down to see the problem. I over heated the enging and part of the piston stuck to the cylinder wall. It needs to be bored and rebuilt. A few days after get parts for it I should be good to go. Does any one know where to buy a cylinder with the reed valves. I would like to have a little more umph out of it.