Old 06-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Scrambler Help, Went riding, keeps overheating

Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

I just put a new piston and had the cylinder bored because it blew up. This was my first time driving it, we broke it in last night. It was pretty cool outside. When we got done it was bubbling, antifreeze was going right out of the resivoir fromt he top. Went to ride it today and the antifreeze level was at the maximum level, take the cap off and pressure releases. The line coming from the head is hot and most of the time Very hot, the other line going to the base or pump is cool or sometimes warm. If I feel the radiator usually the side coming from the head is hot and the other side is cool or warm. If I start it without the cap on the radiator it flows out the top no problem so I guess the pump works fine. When its running I will hear the bubbling noise before the fan even comes on. Any ideas as too why it bubbles or overheats? Im thinking the radiator or something maybe be clogged before the pump. Please help, ANy help is appretiated. Thanks alot, Brian

Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like its not cirulating thru the whole system. does it have a thermosate that is stuck closed,oris the rad. plugged any? just a starting point or a guess.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

Do they have thermostates? I didnt think they did so I didnt bother to really look into it. The rad looks clean but looks can be decieving. Thanks, Brian

Old 06-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

OK I just went and searched, I guess I should have done that beforehand. I found out it is most likely a bad headgasket. Also when I start it and let it run with the radiator cap off it kinda smokes/steams. This is from the head gasket, im guessing the exhaust also flowing out of the radiator? I hope this is what it is, Thanks, Brian

Old 06-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

If it is the head gasket which im 75 percent sure it is, what do I use. I would like to use the winderosa for the complete engine kit for 20, Ive only heard "only use oem polaris, not cosmetic" Is this just a turn down for cosmetic brand or for all others? Would winderosa be good? Its 20 for a complete kit vs 25 for a oem polaris gasket. Thanks, Brian

Old 06-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Save yourself the hassle and use oem, I didn't and had to do it again. You did replace the gasket when you rebuilt it right? and there is also steps to tightning the head. I have the steps if you need them

Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get the headgasket changed be sure to bleed the air out of the system by taking the small bolt out on the head while you fill it with antifreeze.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

I did replace the gasket, Person who had it didnt tell me it was new/used. It was a new one that he put on and barely had anytime on it when he blew it up right after. He just simply said "its got a new head gasket too" , So I put it on, Been bad ever sinve I put it together. Yes I did bleed the system by taking the 10mm? screw out and waiting until the air come out and it was all water/anti freeze. Thanks for the time on the gasket. What makes them different from oem?

Old 06-19-2006, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

i was wonderin the same cuz they look identical

Quick Reply: 1998 Scrambler Help, Went riding, keeps overheating