Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

took ours out today and it ran pretty rough. we;re having major problems with the steam getting sucked into the airbox.it takes about 5-10 min of stalling and chugging brfore it clears out. this is not good if you have to cross a stream and go up a hill.it's goin to the dealer on monday again

Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

mechanx,

The dealer just did the same thing to mine tonight. Drilled 6 half-inch holes in the air box. Polaris recommended it, are sending plugs, and the mechanic say its finally running correctly. I am going to pick it up in a few days, and will let you know.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Curious to know what elevation everyone is at? I'm going hunting in a couple months and going to be at about 9000'. I was thinking I could just take the airbox off, but now I'm rethinking that.

Like I said though, I'm at about 1000' and not having any problems. Course it's hotter than hell too, so that will help lean it out a bit...

Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

my dealer is looking at what to do on ours and has seen the tips to drill 6 holes in the airbox but then there are holes for water and stuff to get into.why arn't they sending aout a redesigned airbox??this is the stupidist thing i've ever seen from a manufacturer.my dealer agrees. he is looking for other ways to solve the problem but still has no idea why going through water kills the engine. i love my scrambler and i'd buy another one but this is absolute crap what polaris is doing whit the hawkeyes. they need to step up to the plate and fix this or take them back!

Old 07-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

This may sound stupid but keep in mind that I haven't bought mine yet so I haven't seen the air box design. But would some sort of mini snorkle on the box help keep the intake away from the steam? My son has a Predator 90 and we removed the airbox and installed an open element filter for racing. It is right by the front wheel and gets wet to easily for trail riding. Home Depot and Lowes both sell a clear hose that is 1 1/2" in diameter. I clamp one end on the carb and a short piece of tubing at the other end for the racing filter to clamp to. Then I just zip tie it up out of the way wherever I want. The 1 1/2" tubing would probably not be the right size for you. Scott's carb is 18mm and I believe the hawkeye is 34mm. It's just a thought. Even if it does help you shouldn't have to do that to the machine. Polaris should do a redesign or fix it.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello
I got my fourwheeler back from the dealer it ran good on dry land everyone that is just having a sputtering problem (( Beltburner)) Move the foam element that is on the the tube from the airbox to the very front of the tube in the little space where the steam comes off the head and push the foam element to the front hit a water hole again it wont sputter..
The six 1/2 in holes in the airbox is like rejetting the carb what polaris is doing is experimenting with this to find out the proper jets for different elevations mine has run like a champ since got it back.
If anyone has to remove any of the plugs in the airbox lid find out how many has to be removed for best performance then take it back to the dealer with the plugs still removed and that will tell the dealer how big or small he has to jet the carb to make it run correctly. If two plugs are removed jet size will be changed by one full size. Hope this helps

Thanks
Joe

Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

good call on the piece of foam, i'll try that as soon as i get it back.i was even thinking of snorkleing it up by the bars.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

hello,

I purchased a new Hawkeye back in Febr. and it has been a nightmare. At first it ran very poor (jetted to rich). In April the jet was changed to the 142.5. It ran fairly well for a short time then the float started sticking down in the carb. It was back to the dealer for this unexplained problem several times but the dealer was unable to correct the problem. The dealer then put a new carb on the machine and in less than 50 miles of riding the float was sticking in the new carb. Back to the dealer again. New fuel pump. Carb flooding in less than 20 miles of riding. The hawkeye is back at the dealer as I type this. This machine is clearly a lemon and so far Polaris is unwilling to make things right. I guess I'm stuck with a machine I can't even use or will have to take a bath on it as a trade in. If anyone is considering buying a Polaris Hawkeye THINK AGAIN!
BTW My father also purchased a Hawkeye and his has caused plenty of problems as well.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey
I felt the same way about mine and kind of wonder if it will be perfect there is a couple of people who have lucked up and got good runnin Hawkeyes and all I have had was trouble out of mine at the start seems to be straightened out so far but they should do something to try to make it worth all the troubles it is like something for the fourwheeler. Hey Beltburner how can we snorkel these... without spending a lot?

Thanks
joe

Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine has about 300 miles on it and is just now starting to sputter. I ride it between 0 and 1500ft normally. Only thing I did was stand it on end and get some oil in the airbox. Filter was a little damp from oil, but not dripping. I haven't changed the plug yet, but am hoping it cures my problem.

Iy has given me 300 trouble free miles to date, I am hoping this is a little, very little set back.

Quick Reply: Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300