Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

How fast do this things go ?? i know somwone that might buy one were at 4,500 feet are the fast than the bruin 350 ?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey
(Badman) If your fourwheeler is just now sputtering take it to the dealer if it is still under the warranty and have it fixed. I also got oil in my breather box on mine but it happened when the Atv sputtered on a incline then pick up causin a roll over NOBODY worry the fourwheelers fall was broke by my body and the rear seat cushion and the front was protected by a cooler I caught the center with my body HAHAHA funnier than h#$@ .. That was before I got polaris to fix the sputtering. But still seems to be fixed. If Somehow it got a lot of oil on the filter I was told these filters wasnt oiled and will cause them to sputter if they get oil on them. If the filter is moist I would get another one my filter was oiled from the factory or dealership and caused it run real upsetting good luck.. Need any help let me know I will try to find out all I can about the Hawkeye so I can try to figure more of it Out. Asking about top speed on a Hawkeye Hard to tell one day 46 Me and wife I weigh 168 and she weighs 103 . Then the next day 49 top speed two riders I also have a Bear claw tire and rim kit may make speedometer off some

Thanks
Joe

Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

What size bear claws are you running? Did you change the offset with the new wheels?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

we got ours back today and my dealer leaned it out a bit more and fixed the floats. he then noticed that the vent tube for the carb (clear 3/8 line) was routed down by the back tire where it would get sprayed with dirt water etc. he re routed it and clean the filter on it and now the bike seems ok at home.we'll test it this weekend.instead of drilling the airbox he wants me to try changing the snorkle at higher elevations. he gave me a hpd one from a 500 that bolts right on .

Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: beltburner
he then noticed that the vent tube for the carb (clear 3/8 line) was routed down by the back tire where it would get sprayed with dirt water etc. he re routed it.

I wonder if that's what gives us all problems when going through deep water, mine still spits and sputters in deep water, while other quads of equal size just chug right through. I'm going to take a look at it and see if i can reroute mine as well. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

he took it up around the tank and inby the bars

Old 08-12-2006, 03:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Reply,

Thanks Mechanx, I took it in, and it appears to be working ok now. It still seems to lack some power on the top end, but then again, I typically ride my 800 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Honestly, it does appear to still be lacking a little at the top from what I remeber. I will have to have my son see if he can get it airborne the way he did before the problem.

As to speed, going up a pretty good incline, with me on it (280lbs) I ge to about 30mph. With my son on it, following me on my 800, he has hit about 50mph. Not sure if it would go faster, that was plenty fast for me, a rock crawler.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Im not brand bashinn but polaris has alot of problems ive been looking at all the forums they seem to have more need help topics. Id say anyone thats looking for a 300 cc class atv should look at yamaha i ve heard noithing but good things. Plus the 2007`s have irs and its not a bruin anymore its called grizzly. They have awsome styling. I eve nthink they have a diff lock plus it 348cc its wil lscoot around. They dealer i went too only rents those out he said they take a trashing and he has to fix next to nothing. Im really looking at them know. They have alot in a little package the irs and styling is enough for me. Plus they are air and oil cooled less parts to break. In polaris defence a friend of mine has 1500 miles on his in too month got it new its a 500 efi not a whole lot has went wrong and thoase are not hard ridding miles mainly dirt roads. He took it back to the dealer for service they said the highest mileage new atv this year they sold they were impressed he rode that much with no probs id say its broke in.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

I checked out that new grizzly. It is interesting. It has bigger tires and more ground clearance but less suspension travel. I am still waiting to make my purchase. I am still leaning toward the Hawkeye partially because I have noticed that most people who are having problems with them live at a higher altitude than I do here in Dallas although I don't think I would be immune to the problems. I have a good dealer and they have always been responsive and my sons Polaris has been raced and ridden hard but not abused and it has been very reliable. I really was hoping that they would put EFI on the Hawkeye for 2007.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Craw,

To be fair, you are only reading from people who have had problems. I read alot of forums and many brands or models within brands have problems. I have had relatively few problems with this Hawkeye, and it appears to be fixed.

To be clear, I traded a Yamaha in on the Hawkeye because of all the problems I had with it. This is not to say Yamaha is bad, but I obviously had a lemon, and yes, I would own another.

And a point in Polaris's favor, all I have read and experienced leads me to believe this may be a teething issue with a new model which will be worked out. Kudos to Polaris for asserting effort to resolve a problem and not ignpore it.

Quick Reply: Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300