Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

My Hawkeye was manufactured in May 2006 and I have not had a single problem with it. Guys, the stock air filter element is paper and needs to be dry. Any moisture (water or oil) will only clog it. Additionally, the foam prefilter needs to be kept clean. It's nothing to clean it once a week or even once a day, just slip it off the filter and shake the dust out of it. Even though my Hawkeye was running well, I replaced the stock element with a K&N, and it runs even better. Throttle response is crisper, there is no hesitation or lean spots anywhere in the rev range, and it goes up hill forever and will 30 mph all day and without any effort. I feel for the ones who have experienced nothing but problems, because the Hawkeye is a very nice ATV.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,

Here in ranch country we put a lot of miles on 4 wheelers. It's not at all uncommon for someone to put 5000+ miles on a machine in a year. I recently had a 2004.5 Sp 600 for a loaner and it had 10,000 miles on it. My Hawkeye, which has basically been at the dealer since May 20th, has 1300 miles. We really test a 4 wheeler out here and I must say that I the Polaris machines are higher maintenance than most other brands. We were converts from Kawasaki Bayou machines and they were a very tough reliable machine. I don't believe that my Hawkeye will around in 11 or 12 years like my old '95 Bayou 300 was. In Polaris' defense, our 2005 Sp 500 has held up pretty well so far. My $.02.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117
My Hawkeye was manufactured in May 2006 and I have not had a single problem with it. Guys, the stock air filter element is paper and needs to be dry. Any moisture (water or oil) will only clog it. Additionally, the foam prefilter needs to be kept clean. It's nothing to clean it once a week or even once a day, just slip it off the filter and shake the dust out of it. Even though my Hawkeye was running well, I replaced the stock element with a K&N, and it runs even better. Throttle response is crisper, there is no hesitation or lean spots anywhere in the rev range, and it goes up hill forever and will 30 mph all day and without any effort. I feel for the ones who have experienced nothing but problems, because the Hawkeye is a very nice ATV.

You happend to have the P/N for that K&N handy?

Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

K&N air filter part # for 2006 Hawkeye 4x4

Old 08-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry it has taken so long to reply back started new job on 3rd shift at work
my Hawkeye has tires size 28 by 10 by 12 and 28 by 8 by 12s on it it will rub the fenders in the rear stiffened up the shocks in rear to keep the wear down with two passengers has vision rims dont exactly know what style but ,may can find out if needed
For everyone readin my outlook on the hawkeye after many problems still a decent fourwheeler I rode with a Yamaha Bruin. Didnt like the way the handling and suspension setup was same look as always. But before I pi@& anyone off I will rate The 2006 Polaris Hawkeye I own At Around A 10 On Dry Land And All around about a 7 At most . User preference. Not Satisfied by polaris but my dealer is cool and will try to help me out at all extent. There are good ones and there are bad ones I work in manufacturing at Modine and he@# I cant agree to all the qc checkoffs we do but it trys to make me understand. Dont know why it took telling polaris main office I was going to sue them to even try to fix the problem seems to be fixed now. But I firmly believe Polaris Needs to think about the little man more like quoted earlier.. Not slamming them but they could think about the the time hauling it back to the dealer and NOBODY FORGETS GAS COST when the nearest dealer is 32.5 miles away one way. Just my insite

Joe

Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone have a picture of how the holes are drilled in the airbox? I bought one yesterday and it has the same sputtering problem at 3/4- full throttle. Is this where you guys have the problem as well?

Mine was built in February 2006.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't have to drill holes in the airbox to correct a jetting problem, remove the snorkel from the airbox lid to see if that helps at all. The dealer should take care of this problem, the carb calibrations have changed on the 07's to leaner settings, otherwise try a 142.5 or 140 mainjet instead of the normaly stock 147.5. You might also try dropping the needle one position and remove the plug over the idle mixture screw so that can be adjusted to your temps. I'm at 600ft. elevation and dropped the main to a 142.5, lowered the needle 1/2 of one position with a shim and leaned the idle circuit 1/4 turn. The quad runs better in warm temps now but I have not had the sputter/missing at wot that you and others have. My quad ran much better in cooler temps than on a warm day when it was sluggish and used more fuel....

Old 08-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I was going to try removing the snorkel tomorrow. If that solves the problem, I'll take it back to the dealer and tell them to rejet it to a 142.5 or 140.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

They might want to change to the 07 parts and settings for you, my dealer read the update info off his computer. They changed the pilot jet and needle along with the main jet to a 140 but there may be more info on that. I just needed to change my main as the quad ran pretty good most of the time here. I opened up the airbox lid hole where the snorkle attatches so there's less air restriction there. Looking at it from the bottom you will see the lid hole is smaller than the snorkle, open that up as much as you can to aid the airflow into the airbox. It's a small difference but it all helps in the end....

Old 08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hey the online Owner's manual for the 2006 Hawkeye has been revised to show a 137.5 main jet and it also shows the needle clip moved from position 5 to position 4. I am going to these settings in a couple of days and I will give a report soon.

Quick Reply: Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300