Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

Hi sheepdogMSP8117,
What is happening with my Dial A Jet is that it isn't functioning as a normal fuel draw from the carb vacuum when I have a problem. Fuel is vaporizing and going into the carb inlet when there is no demand, such as when the engine is shut off. Again, I think this is radiant heat pickup from the engine and surounding area. Reflective shielding didn't stop this. I don't know why. You probably right that I am not jetted lean enough. With the Dynojet kit, I have their needle and their 137 main. Dynojets flow a little more than the same Mukuni number. More fuel flow through the Dial A Jet would help keep it cooler. Maybe this with the shielding would control the evenual heat buildup that is forcing fuel to the carburetor inlet. It wouldn't help at the high elevation, though. I have checked the carb venting to be sure I'm not pressurizing the bowl and it seems to be clear. Lonn Peterson at Thunder Products says he hasn't had this complaint before. It is definately a Dial A Jet related problem as it runs fine witht the Dial A Jet removed. I have messed with dirt bike jetting for many years but this is my first Dial A Jet experience. I really welcome all thoughts and logic on this problem.

Alan

Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried different fuel brands, maybe the alcohol content is causing the vaporizing, you might also try a long fuel line feeding the dial a jet locating it in a cooler place like the bottom of the airbox so the fuel temp rise would be reduced. The extra hose would need to be below the dial a jet inlet....

Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

An excellent point that I hadn't thought about. Hawaii now requires that 10% alcohol be added to all grades of fuel. (Which has to be shipped in and contains 8% less energy than gasoline, but that's another story.) This could increase the vaporization. Problem is I don't know how to get around it. I do use a fuel stablizer that might help counteract the alcohol. I don't know. The longer line to recool the fuel has promise too. Thanks.
Alan

Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Answer to main topic: Problems with Hawkeye? Mine has not been working since August. Sub-Frame replaced. brought it home only to notice that a front CV boot was split down the seam. It was not covered under warranty even though there were no signs of external damage. CV boots should last for years and are covered by other manufactures. Oh, I only put 33 hours on it from May to August. Other than that, it is a great quad. I?ve heard the ?07 is better. My dumb mistake for buying first year.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 AM
Trailblazer

Update 31 December 2006: I finally got my Hawkeye out of the shop last Wednesday. I was able to find CV boot while in Phoenix and brought it to my shop. They fixed it the same day free of charge. They were still waiting on the part and had no idea when it would be in. I do feel better about the shop, but know that I should try to track down my own parts if they have problems getting them in. It might have been on back order, and the larger shop in Phoenix just had them in stock already.
We did get to ride on Thursday. I went out with my friend and his son. He just bought a Grizzley 800, and his high school aged son was riding his other non Polaris 700. They both had big storage boxes front and rear. They made my Hawkeye look like a baby. In the beginning of the ride, I told them not to smoke me in the trail and loose me. He let me lead since I have been on the trail much more. He had only ridden it once out and back a couple of weeks ago. So we started out, at about 5,000 feet of elevation, and after a fresh snowfall. I knew the upper trails would be covered and was worried about traction. It was bad enough that some spots were so steep, not to mention some spots are just bowling ball sized rocks. We all wore face masks, long johns, warms jackets and winter gloves. The start of the climbing is a bunch of zig-zags, some spots loose, others rutty from runoff. I waited at each turnoff for them to catch up. This was some rough stuff, but not enough to loose much traction. We got to the top of those, and rode a nice trail along the bottom of some cliffs, part of the higher mountains. Then we descended down to a canyon. Some spots had about 6 inches of snow and I began to trust my traction more as my Hawkeye did not slip. I had to keep waiting up to make sure they did not miss any turns. Granted that this was not a race, and I knew the trail better, but the Hawkeye was doing fine. I was wondering what would happen on the steeper parts climbing all the way up to 7,400 feet on the looser areas. They actually turned out OK. The Hawkeye climbed as usual, easy to steer as the AWD system works well, and not much slip. At some points where it was leaning over the bars steep and loose, I thought it would die, but it never gave up and climbed everything. Even when we got into deeper snow, at least 8 inches, it just kept going. I had to give it throttle on the descents, as the snow was so deep. I was even able to climb some completely covered step parts of the trail on the way back without a problem. I almost forgot to mention, at some times, we were riding in blizzard conditions. Our way back down the canyon trail, was al blizzard and cold. It was nice to warm my hands with the engine heat while waiting for the other riders.
My friend actually looked at buying a Polaris, but could not ride with me for four months since mine was in the shop. I think that if he saw what my little baby Hawkeye could do ahead of time, he would have considered it more. I did ask what the point of a huge quad was if I could do everything that they could do, and keep from being left behind. He never gave a straight answer, except that I figured that he could haul more gear. He did like the concept of integrated storage that no other brand has. OK Polaris, with my sub-frame fixed, this is the toughest ATF in its class, and T.U.F. If only it was out of the shop sooner so I could show off to this now believer.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

Good to see things finally turn around for you, hopefully this is the end to the problem issues and you can now experience and enjoy how good this machine can be. Great write up, Happy New Year!!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey mechanx, everyone,

N00b here, very first post at this board. My 06 Hawkeye 2wd is my very first quad. I'm 48yo, and was an avid dirt bike rider as a kid.

I'm sorry for everyone who has had problems with their Hawkeye. Admittedly I'm very inexperienced when it comes to quads and mine is still very new - I've put just over 300 miles on it in the 3 weeks I've owned it, but to date this thing has had no problems AT ALL.

I've never piloted onea the big-boy machines that many of the members here live with, but I have been impressed as 43II with this lil' critter. I used to think that a 250cc dirt bike was kindasorta not powerful enough, but with only 300cc of 4-stroke this thing does allright toting my 320lbs around. Notice that, mechanx.... alone I outweigh you AND your wife ... I dunno... mine just runs great.

Admittedly, I live in southern Arizona... so I'm not crossing any rivers or mud holes.

This was the last of the 06 Hawkeyes, so I have no idea if the dealer did any of the mods already... but I seriously doubt it. When I bought it, the thing was still crated, buried in the middle of a 6-deep wall of crates. They got it out and prepped it on the spot. I'm not especially impressed by this dealer, either... on the other hand I dunno the manufacture date of this unit.

Steep trails made entriely of basketball-sized rocks? I just keep the throttle on (& stand up & drape my belly over the handlbars....) and up we go. No sputters here. On a hard/flat she'll do 48MPH with ol' lard-bottom here aboard. I can't find fault with that.

I AM a bit concerned about the rear-subframe I have read here today... I intend to learn more about that while I still have warranty claim.

Also, being used to bikes (and never haveing been a snowmobile rider) I was very hesitant about the CVT. Now I'm sold.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have really put mine thru the paces and rode her hard ,,I wanted a little more performance out of mine and had to do some jetting work, But other than that its been great and has had no problems to date, the rear subframe is strong enough,,these guys thats gripe and break stuff are just way to hard on the hawkeyes they buy them, and then go jumping and mudding with them expecting them to be like a military Hummer and take a beating, I weigh 200 Pounds and have this thing running 40 and hit a Sand wash real hard and fly 20 feet then bouncing on the ground real hard,,they will climb anything you throw at it, it wont run with those crazy 60 mph riding 500s but does okay everywhere else and who needs to run 60 mph with it,,I ran it down a dirt road and hit 51 Mph with it on a 100 degree day, it has also never been stuck at all and has been where some cant go..its and 06 model too. we are happy with it and wish you good luck also ..RP

Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

the rear subframe is strong enough,,these guys thats gripe and break stuff are just way to hard on the hawkeyes they buy them, and then go jumping and mudding with them expecting them to be like a military Hummer and take a beating,

We have two '06 Haweyes here on the ranch and I assure you that they haven't been "jumped, mudded or treated like a military Hummer". The rear sub-frames have been broken on both of them and shortly thereafter the left rear axle on both of them. The rear sub-frames are built WAY to light and they WON'T stand up to everyday use.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ranchrocket
the rear subframe is strong enough,,these guys thats gripe and break stuff are just way to hard on the hawkeyes they buy them, and then go jumping and mudding with them expecting them to be like a military Hummer and take a beating,We have two '06 Haweyes here on the ranch and I assure you that they haven't been "jumped, mudded or treated like a military Hummer". The rear sub-frames have been broken on both of them and shortly thereafter the left rear axle on both of them. The rear sub-frames are built WAY to light and they WON'T stand up to everyday use.
Unfortunately for you I don't think the Hawkeye was intended to be a daily workhorse, more an entry level recreational rider. So by now you've very likely come to the conclusion they are the wrong machine for your applications. What is the normal daily routine you put them through on the ranch, just curious.....

Quick Reply: Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300