Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Packing for extended atv trips

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear from those that go on extended, self sufficient or at least overnight atv patrols into the backcountry. How do you pack your equipment? What equipment do you take? Any interesting camping equipment to share with everyone? Does anyone use a trailer such as the Packrat trailer on these trips? Extra fuel? Water?

Outlawed

Old 11-28-2000, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

A few of us here in Minnesota do extended trips as you mention. When we do, we carry many things. The area we ride is quite remote and unforgiving. My buddies refer to me as the PACKOLOGIST because personally I carry (believe it or not!) in no particular order
1.Food,(enough for the time intended plus a little extra for unforseen delays) and mess kit and a small
1 burner propane stove and canister of fuel
2. Drinking water, (about 1 1/2 quarts) depending on time out
3. Tent (small 1 or 2 man) and a 8x10 tarp for a quick shelter for eating if it rains
4. Gasoline 3 gallons + (one quart emergency extra)
5. 3 quarts oil and a filter (In case of an under water excursion)
6. Tire repair plugs, a small compressor and a tool kit with essential tools to replace even a torn CV boot (which I also carry a spare of and a tube of grease)
7. Hammer, nails. ball of twine, misc nuts and bolts, wire, tie wraps, electrical and duct tape.
8. Toilet paper
9. GPS receiver and maps
10. Cell phone and first aid kit
11. Complete change of clothes and an extra sweatshirt
12. Disposable camera and binoculars
13. Tow strap, cable repair clamps for winch cable and extra bungee cords
14. Extra hat , gloves and insect spray
15. FRS 2-way radios
16. Rain suit
17. Small folding saw
18. Miscellaneous other things too numerous to list and probably not necessary but hey, you can't be too prepared can you?
Another one of our group carries a chain saw and a land anchor. All in all between the five of us that regularly ride together we pretty much have everything we have ever needed on the trail. I am sure I have forgotten to mention something or another. I hope I have given you some good ideas for your own packing needs.
I do also have a trailer for extended stays in the woods but have found it is better to use only when we have a predetermined destination that we are going to. Pulling a trailer around all day takes away a lot of the opportunity to venture off on those tight "little used" trails that sometimes go nowhere. It is however a great way to pack in large amounts of gear for a remote basecamp where you can leave it while you are riding.

Good luck on the trail...

Old 11-28-2000, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

First, thanks, guys, for your posts; reminding me of why I ever read or participate in the Forum. Your posts are excellent examples of the best of the Forum; honest, sincere question, followed by sharing information and experience (no, "My quad can whup your quad!" ego trips).

Good list, trailboss450! Like you, I carry some tools: Sockets/wrenches for all typical nuts & bolts, spark plug & socket, screwdrivers, vise-grips/multi-pliers, baling wire, electrical tape, wire ties, tire repair kit, etc., etc., items you've basically covered.

I was only stymied by lack of tools once on the trail--a guy lost a front wheel; we got that back into place o.k., jamming a wire tie into a stripped bolt hole and threading the bolt into the nylon to hold it for the trip; however, lubricant was lost from the front end when the half-shaft was pulled; we needed to get the grease cap off the differential so we could replenish the pumpkin with SOMETHING, motor oil being better'n nothing (no SAE 90 around, either). NOTHING was big enough to fit the big cap; the little vise-grips and adjustable wrenches wouldn't stretch. Never thought of a differential lubricant plug as a corrective maintenance item, just a routine or preventive maintenance one--oughta carry a wrench or socket for it too, I guess; maybe a little bottle of SAE90.

Diogenes

Old 11-29-2000, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

Only thing I could add would be a 45 auto. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! HOPE YOU DONT. Never know about those 2 legged snakes.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

See you think like me, we have had problems while out camping before. Lucky nothing came from it since that day my parents and i always carry an equlizer and hopefully never will need to use it.

Old 11-29-2000, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

Trailboss,
It sounds like you have had some adventurous trips camping and living out of your machine. Out here in the west, I will have to carry much more water, maybe a gallon per day in the desert. Which style aftermarket racks do you use to pack all this gear you bring? Are the flat shaped plastic water and fuel containers workable?
outlawd

Old 11-30-2000, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider

Actually one of the boys does carry a 9mm Glock!
Never needed it yet but its there if we do

Old 12-01-2000, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

Nobody mentioned cooler and "beverages of choice"!

Old 12-01-2000, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I found the tire plug kit to be a must have item on the trail. I've never needed one, but I've plugged too many buddies tires that I could count. I also carry a mini bike tire pump. I even set a bead for a guy one day on the trail with it, saved him a very long tow out.

Old 12-02-2000, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

On the “old” forum about 3 years ago there was a thread entitled “What to Bring.” It turned into one of the best sources of information I’ve ever seen. It was more about day trips than camping but we all chipped in with our lists of riding “essentials” and I’d be willing to bet whoever read that thread made some adjustments to their riding “kit” after reading all those excelent ideas. I know I sure did.

I’m definitely a member of the “rather have it and not need it” club. The challenge of bringing enough gear to ride safe, comfortable and prepared for the unexpected without going into overload is one of the things I enjoy most about the sport. We are constantly fine tuning our gear and packing lists to accommodate our needs. And riding year round in temps that range from the 90s to –10, staying comfortable and safe can definitely be a challenge. Twice a year we wilderness camp for four nights off our ATVs. The biggest challenge of our summer trip in July is having enough ice to keep our refreshments cold. Our trip in the last week of September to catch the fall color peak has included getting snowed on and temps below freezing so insulation becomes more of a concern.

When we first started ATV Camping 7 years ago it was from a 4 passenger Max and included bringing our yellow lab. The Max has some decent storage capacity but made a lousy trail machine for rocky terrain and long distance riding. We loaded the racks for our first couple trips camping from 4 wheelers but soon realized our duration of staying in the wilderness required more than the racks could carry if we were going to be comfortable. Sure, we could rough it, but we’re not into endurance tests. We like our comfort. A trailer was the answer for our needs and has served us well.

When I get several hours I’ll put together a list of what we bring, how we pack it and some of the tricks we’ve learned. It’s way too long to post here so I’ll put it up on our web page and notify the forum. One good idea from that thread years ago was to carry a spare brake lever. Think about it, if you snap off that composite brake lever you’re without brakes for the ride back (foot pedal is a poor substitute). I thought that was a good idea so I started carrying one. Many months later, out on the trail my brakes kept locking up. The problem turned out to be something wrong with the little spring on the lever that keeps the “parking brake” from engaging. Every time I’d pull on the brake lever and let go the pawl would automatically lock. This is about the only mechanical failure I’ve ever had on the trail in about 9000 miles on Polarises, and you can imagine the shock of my trail buddies when I just happened to have the part to fix it! I’m still smilin’ about that one.

Quick Reply: Packing for extended atv trips