Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My new rear brakes.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

......arrived last week and I couldn't be happier with them. Because it was a holiday week I didn't have the time to install them yet, but from the shear workmanship alone that Gary Box has done, I know that I'm gonna love them. As a matter of fact, they're so gorgeous that I had them sitting out on my desk at the office last week, and everyone that came in had to comment on the quality fit and finish.
I am in no way affiliated with Box Brakes, it is just important for folks to know that when they send their hard earned money to an unknown dark hole on the internet, that they will receive something that far exceeds their expectations. So far, Box Brakes has exceeded my expectations.
I'll report back after I've had a chance to break them in, but it seems to me that there is no way that these pads shouldn't work a helluva lot better than what came on my bike. I think Bill Ciliberti has been runnin' on his for a few weeks. Maybe he can give us an update.
It's because of forum gatherings like this that we run into people who want to use their talent, like Gary has, and crank out some awesome after market parts. Without ya'll, I never would have found Box Brakes.

Houndog

Old 11-28-2000, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Houndog

Glad to hear you like your brakes. I will be ordering some from Gary in the near future for both of my machines. I am like you, I worry about sending money to someone I don't know on the internet, but it is glad to hear that there are good people out there.

Old 11-28-2000, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

How much were they?

Old 11-28-2000, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

''UPDATED MATERIAL''

Here yee-Here yee-Here yee

Ok,but on the real side.Last wk end,it was warm in Michigan and extremely wet/muddy.I road all day Sat and Sunday exstensivly in the mud,I even got stuck ONCE and had to be pulled out.

Sunday,after riding I tore off the wheels and cleaned up the muck inside the brakes ect.I noticed I needed front brakes again,they were getting VERY close and I allways leave a pair IN stock,so I replaced them again.[3rd time]I have e-mailed Gary box a few wks ago with intrest in a pair of his Micky Mouse style fronts,I have yet to hear anything from him?

His rear pads are the best by far,I measured their thickness when new [300k] and they are now around 285k.I have been in some pretty good mud in the past three wks or so that they have been installed.If these were stock pads,there is no doubt they would be at least half worn or more.

In closing,Id like to say
Mr Box's Better Built Brass Brakes Beat, anything out there today.His rears are the best I've found so far.

Now, if he'll only give me an answer to my last e-mail on the front pads?Gary,where are you?
Bill

Old 11-28-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Are these pads harder on the stock rotors ??

Bill, you don't have the new style rotors do you?

Old 11-28-2000, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

For those of you wandering why brass brake pads are not offered for the front it's called liability issues,they simply are not as effective at stopping. Bill try going down a hill and apply only the rear brakes then tell us why you want them for the front .We have made and tried them on the front and the stopping distance is greatly increased not to mention down right dangerous.

Old 11-29-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Last week I ordered 2 sets for my quads. They are 40$ a set. They went up by 5$ because the price to manufacture them went up a bit.

Still worth the price. I e-mailed Gary a couple weeks back and asked a zillion questions. He said that his pads are not anymore harmfull to the stock rotors.

I wonder how much stopping power is affected? Gary told me it's the better because there is more braking surface on the pads. He also said that being more duarble doesn't make them less effective at bringing your quad to a halt.

I will test them out next month. Gotta wear out those darn 90$ pads the dealer sold me!

Old 11-29-2000, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

Right now its not liability so much as just never tried it on a polaris. I have several people using them on the front of Warriors and EX's, with no problems. But the pad itself is a very different shape. But the guy who gave me the pattern for the fronts is going to try out the first set. He is the son of the guy who cuts these out for me. I'll keep you all informed of how they work out, and their performance. If they don't work I will definately not produce them. People are too quick to sue you over anything nowadays anyway.

It's still getting into the mid 60's down here, so we are still riding most weekends. And hunting season just opened too. As always, I would like any feedback I can get. It never hurts to learn something new.

Thanks
Gary Box

Old 11-29-2000, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

GARY, My comments were not intended to knock your product,Rather to mention my experience with the topic.I had the same idea of marketing brass brake pads for the obvious reasons.After consulting with a lawfirm about liability issues I elected not to pursue the matter.

Old 11-29-2000, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

800twin,
I e-mailed Gary a few wks ago with the EXACT identicle concerns about the effectiveness of the stopping distance with these front brass pads?I even offered to experiment stopping distances with Polaris severe duty pads vs the brass pads,I got no responses from Gary on it as of yet.I understand he is busy.

DaBoss,
I think I still have the old style rotors on my Xplorer.

I have Garys rear pads,they stop the quad very poorly if you use just the rear foot lever.This is NOT a design flaw in his pads because Polaris rear pads DONT stop ANY better either.Instead,it is a Polaris design flaw in their rear braking system.I dont care who's pads you stick on the rear of Polaris 4x4 quads,trying to stop with only the rear foot lever was dangerous on both my 99 Sportsman and my 00 Xplorer.Someone said Polaris changed that around for the 01 model quads,I hope so.

Garys rear pads are worth the money in my opionion. The rear stock Polaris pads wont do anything much more than wear our fast,[they stop poorly to] Garys pads stop you as poorly,but OUTLAST the Polaris rears pads,by a long shot,
Bill

Quick Reply: My new rear brakes.......