Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris Tire Exchange

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Polaris Tire Exchange

I have a 01 Xplorer 250. I have 23" tires on the front and 24" on the back.

I want to get taller tires, taking it u to 25" on the front and 26" on the back. I do not want to sacrafice power though. I know when going up in tire sizes you loose power also. If I got up two sizes on my tires I must loose much power. I did have the idea that I can change the back front sprocket( the smaller one in the back). If I take a few teeth off that shouldnt affect my power not too too much?

So, If I change my tires sizes from 23" and 24" to a 25" and 26" (going up two sizes from original size of 23 and 24 on the back)

I could change the back front sprocket to less teeth??? How much are those???

Will that affect myt AWD system because all I know about this is that the front must be one size smaller than the back??

Would that affect my "gear ratio" thus affect my driving???

Thanks in advance guys,

Josh

Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is just my 2 cents on this, but i wouldnt recommend going 2 sizes bigger on a 250. it will have a big affect all around on power speed and wear and tear on the whole drive train. bigger means you'll start breaking parts. like i said just my opinion.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

ok the whole drivet train eh..

well couldnt i change the teeth on the sprocket on the back and it would work something similar to what I have to it now?

Old 08-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you go that big you want to add teeth to the back sprocket to make it have more torqe with the bigger tires. In my opinon i would go down a tooth on the front sprocket cheaper, and easier to get on and off.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Range Rover

wait can you explain all this out ur message was a bit short... thanks yellow rider

Old 08-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Range Rover

alright man, you were both thinking right all along. If you go smaller in the back you are reducing torque and adding speed. It goes like this, smaller in the front bigger in the back=more torque less speed. smaller in the back and bigger in the front= more speed, less torque. so in turn you will want to probably replace the sprocket that is on the tranny with it being the smallest as mentioned. If you add to the back then you risk hitting things with the sprocket allthough its not that noticable, As for 4wd, its shaft front correct? so you should only use 4wd in muddy conditions, noton hard pack, you need the faster turning tires in the front to be able to break free so they can move faster, otherwise if your on hard stuff and all wheels are trying to go the same speed yet the gear ratio is different than you will mess up drivetrain. You should look into the overall speed of the tires, maybe you can gear down and use the same size tires front and rear and have the same tire rotation speed. Complicated yes but might not be that hard. Hope the helps, Brian