Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 Xplorer / Losing Coolant / Bogs down

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Xplorer / Losing Coolant / Bogs down

I've read a lot of posts on this board about cooling issues and what the cause might be (head gasket, water pump seals) so I hope I'm not annoying anyone when I state a similar problem.

I have two main problems right now with my Xplorer. The first being that when I bring it into a mudhole (or something similar) the ATV will completely bog down. It just completely loses power for a while. It's hard to desribe the sound it make but it almost sounds like it is being choked out. The wheels quit and it's like there is no power at all. I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep the machine even running and then after roughly thirty seconds the engine will start to rev again and the tires will start spinning. It's obviously not the belt or the engine would still rev. Any ideas??? To me it seems like a electrical issue and when it gets wet something is shorting.

The second is the age old Coolant issue. Starting last Fall after every ride the coolant resevoir will be empty. I can't find any leaks (like everyone else). Looking at the crankcase oil last year we thought I got water in it because it was definately milky but now I'm wondering if that was coolant. If you think this is a water pump seal issue can someone post specific directions for how to get to the pump and make the repairs.

I apologize for the long post. Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.TextText

Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 95 Xplorer 400, and I had a problem with it bogging down. This might sound stupid, but check the exhaust pipe. If I remember correctly it points down. Feel with your finger, mine was caked rock hard with mud. There was only a pin whole opening for he exhaust to get out. Just something to try.

Tony

Old 08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Also make sure your breather tubes aren't plugged/blocked/pinched. I had a similar problem where the engine would intermittently bog down or even stall If I didn't 'pump' the throttle when it happened. Turned out one of the breather tubes was getting pinched between the seat and frame (and would pinch off if the rider shifted weight to one side).