Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Preadator oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:29 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Polaris Preadator oil?

Aright I am going to buy a Preadtor and I have read that they need there oil changed every 10 hrs. I was thinking what if I got a larger oil tank and used the vavoline 10w-40 sinthetic oil would that help prolong the time between oil changes so that I dont have to change the oil every 10hrs. Also will adding thoes inline coolers for the radaitor help since it will be lowering the temp of the quad? Have some of you gone more than 10hrs without a oil change? What happend if you do will it blow up? Thanks,Rob

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

It's not like a 2-stroke so no it won't blow up. The purppose of 4-stroke oil is prevent wear and tear on the gears and cranks. If not changed or kept up to the correct level it could cause a seizure and with all the metal filings floating around, can make it shift rougher. So yes, oil changes are important with these sport quads.

Old 08-24-2006 | 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

It's the extra price you pay for having a high performance ATV. I'm sure that maintaining the proper oil level for each ride is more important than changing the oil every ten hours. I'd say use the best oil you can afford and change it every 20 hours.

Old 08-24-2006 | 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, and if your wondering what the best oil to use is, go with Amszoil. IMO.

Old 08-24-2006 | 02:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Basically, depending on how hard you ride......you can go from about 10hrs to 20 hrs to change it. I go by when it starts to get harder so shift(or find neutral)......and when the oil gets black. Bel-ray or amsoil is the way to go, if you don't like the polaris oil.

The reason you want to keep the oil changes up, is because the tranny/clutch uses the same oil as the engine.....so to keep down wear.

Old 08-24-2006 | 03:17 PM
|
Range Rover

So you guyzs are saying puting in a larger oil tank will not help the 10-20hrs before changing oil? I would think the larger tank of oil would last longer and last like 30 to 40 hours.

Old 08-24-2006 | 05:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah I don't know......I'm sure that is a little true....not sure how many hrs it would add. The cost of the tank, would be quite a few oil changes though. Normally people put them in to help cool the engine better, more oil....bigger tank....less heat.

Oh, and yes the inline coolers work......not real well......but do help

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

its also the filtering capacity of the filter

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have been using Royal Purple engine oil and really like it. It stays really clean and makes the motor run a little smoother. A little expensive but well worth it to me. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-28-2006 | 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

It depends how you ride and if you are willing to dump out perfectly good oil every 10 hrs! If racing on a circuit ***** to the wall, then maybe every 10. Riding trails or dunes and normal outings my family goes 20-30 hrs on the predator and 50 hrs on the yamaha grizzly, which says every 160 hrs or 1600 miles in the manual. Polaris sportsmen says every 50hrs in their manual. That (160) is way excessive for most but oil at 50 hrs isn't that dirty and filter will screen out wear stuff just fine. Think about synthetic oil in cars, they run that stuff twice to three times longer than regular oil and for a reason, synthetic is that good for longer drain periods.

Son uses mobil 1 mxt-4 synthetic motorcycle 10-w40 $7.50 qt. from wal-mart in his predator.
I use shell rotella t synthetic 5-w40 diesel/universal oil $4.10 qt in the grizzly and niether of us have had any problems oil related. Mobil 1 is equal to Polaris factory stuff and rotella has no friction modifiers (molly) and is not energy conserving so safe for wet clutches. Any good synthetic not energy conserving is good stuff!! Go to mobil 1 and shell rotella web sites and reserch it for yourself!

20-30hr changes will save money and not hurt predator, hasn't ours!

Quick Reply: Polaris Preadator oil?