Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What type engine oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type engine oil to use?

Hey cornbread, what opinion do you have about Amsoil synthetic oil?

Old 09-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Amsoil is great. It is some of the best and it will work well in a Polaris.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

if you had all the awnsers cornbread then you would know cars today run approx 1800 to 2000 rpm crusing down the road but atvs run much higher rpm and automotive iol isnt always dasigned to run this high of a rpm and at the last polaris infield service school the topic ofoil was brought up and out of 26 mechanic there only one would recommend any oil besides polaris oil and that oil was mobil 1 o/40 so cornbread you dont really know much do you

Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

if you had all the awnsers cornbread then you would know cars today run approx 1800 to 2000 rpm crusing down the road but atvs run much higher rpm and automotive iol isnt always dasigned to run this high of a rpm and at the last polaris infield service school the topic ofoil was brought up and out of 26 mechanic there only one would recommend any oil besides polaris oil and that oil was mobil 1 o/40 so cornbread you dont really know much do you
Wow; maybe I'm running the wrong oil in our race car that see's 10K lap after lap. Maybe I should switch to Polaris oil. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motoman67
at the last polaris infield service school the topic ofoil was brought up and out of 26 mechanic there only one would recommend any oil besides polaris oil and that oil was mobil 1 o/40 so cornbread you dont really know much do you
I know one thing for SURE.

At the last "polaris infield service school " you attended there was 25 mechanics there that are morons.

Their opinion means nothing to me.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

Well it looks like everyone is now more interested in the scuffle than the original question but here is my input. I use Amsoil 0/40 in both my Polaris and my Yamaha. Never had a problem yet, will continue to do so. For the fella that is using Rotella T. That oil was engineered to be used in big diesel trucks. Not saying it won't work for you, I don't know but I do know it was not designed for a quad. For the fella that originally asked the question, if you wanna use Polaris oil then use it but you can switch to any of the major brands and your not going to have a problem. Just make sure you are using an oil formulated for motorcycles and quads and you are using a synthetic. I'm pretty sure Polaris calls for a full synthetic oil, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

For the fella that is using Rotella T. That oil was engineered to be used in big diesel trucks. Not saying it won't work for you, I don't know but I do know it was not designed for a quad.
Yes, I know it was designed for big trucks. That is one of the reasons I use it. They are in need of an oil that will go many thousands of miles between oil changes, and not break down.

If you do some research, you will find that the oil is fine in cars, trucks, motorcycles, and yes even ATV's! And has been rated one of the best oils on the market.

I am a member of many websites, similar to this one, and many folks are using this oil in their "high reving" motorcycles and ATV's.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

I have no desire to do any research. I don't wanna use that oil. I was simply stating a point, a point in which you confirmed. I also stated that I didn't know if it is okay to use in a quad or not, apparently it works for you. Regardless of whether it works for you or not, and even if the website says it's safe to use in a quad, I was just stating that it was not designed for that. To each his own. I say use what you want. All the major brands are going to be okay as long as you use a motorcycle oil and use a compatable wheight to the climate you ride in. Why is it that everyone thinks that what they are using is the best (not just oil)? I personally use Amsoil. Is it the best? I don't know. There's probably something better out there, but it works for me. Ifyou like Mobil, use it....if you like Polaris, use it and even if an oil designed for big diesel engines works for you then by golly it's America, use it......

Old 09-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BassBlaster
I have no desire to do any research. I don't wanna use that oil. I was simply stating a point, a point in which you confirmed. I also stated that I didn't know if it is okay to use in a quad or not, apparently it works for you. Regardless of whether it works for you or not, and even if the website says it's safe to use in a quad, I was just stating that it was not designed for that. To each his own. I say use what you want. All the major brands are going to be okay as long as you use a motorcycle oil and use a compatable wheight to the climate you ride in. Why is it that everyone thinks that what they are using is the best (not just oil)? I personally use Amsoil. Is it the best? I don't know. There's probably something better out there, but it works for me. Ifyou like Mobil, use it....if you like Polaris, use it and even if an oil designed for big diesel engines works for you then by golly it's America, use it......
Finally a mature response. I couldn't agre with you more. I have noticed that I can never ask "what is the best" type question on any forum of any type. People get sooooo defensive of what they use and will beat every single topic to death. I like Spectro oil in my atv and I use Walmart synthetic in my car. It is good enough. People always claim that their Doctor is the best too. Someone's Doctor had to be the worst in their class! Everyone also goes to the best tattoo artist in the world also.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Why is it that everyone thinks that what they are using is the best (not just oil)?
Please by all means show me where I said the oil i use is the best, go ahead i will wait.............................................. ................................

Whats that you say? You cant show me, well why not? Maybe because I never stated it was. I said it was one of the best.

And in reference to doing research, I would never recomend going to any companies website to see what they say about their own product, that would be ignorant! Their are many other places to check diferent oils and how well, or not, they work.

I am not sure I understand why you are being so defensive, all I did was respond to your post. Never did I say anything negative about you, or what ever oil you use. You need to relax and go for a ride!

Quick Reply: What type engine oil to use?