Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need someone to explain how pulleys work in SP 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need someone to explain how pulleys work in SP 500

The truth is this problem is really for sportsman models 2001 2002 2003 after that they changed the casting. New clutches are made to take the ebs punishment.

Don’t just shim the secondary …………REPEAT……..don’t just shim the secondary unless you check the alignment!.......All you are doing is pulling the belt over for a short time.
You should shim the primary clutch………..short term

Old post
Tue November 22, 2005 10:34 AM

Glassman I have had a nightmare with the clutch on my 02 500 HO also. Here is the scoop on this year and what makes this happen.

02 is the first year for EBS and it works by putting a Hillard clutch in your primary (front) clutch. When you look at the bottom of the primary you will see a grooved bushing that will have some side to side movement. That part will bind on the grooves on your belt and cause the belt to ride up on one side or the other of your clutch sheaves.

Polaris issued a alert to this to the dealers but it never was a recall and they will not fix it because they would have to replace the primary. So they take apart your primary and shim it out. This works, but only for a short time because the clutch is really grinding itself apart. In short you need a new clutch.

A test for this is to put your machine up on stands and remove the clutch cover and move the belt and center it in the primary it should feel free and you will feel it fit in the grooves start your machine at idle and in gear and you should get no creep. Now give the machine enough rpm to engage the clutch and turn the wheels.

If when you let off the throttle and the engine goes back to idle the wheels still turn you have this problem. Turn off the machine and now you can look at the belt in the primary, if it is now tight and off to one side you need to shim the clutch (Short Term) or replace it (Long term)

My bet still stands

Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

I took it into the dealer and they first replaced the shims on the the primary then put it back together..it was still the same, he then put a shim behind the secondary still not enough..had to put another one in..Also got a new belt..I thought the old belt looked fine..guess not..I kept it for a spare.
While I was there they greased it and changed the oil and filter, checked all the levels in the gear casing and replace fuel filter..Grand total $202.00 Can.
I was suprised at it only taking two quarts of oil..My brother just changed his AC's and it took almost four quarts..
Took it out for a run and it's running great..Thanks for all the replys.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: hotdog

I was suprised at it only taking two quarts of oil..My brother just changed his AC's and it took almost four quarts..
Took it out for a run and it's running great..Thanks for all the replys.
Don't know about AC but unlike Polaris, some ATV's use the same oil for the the trans and the engine (my Big Bear did). Polaris has seperate compartments for engine and trans. Maybe this is why the AC took more oil.

Trooper

Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

Zbart1..that is what happened to mine..only have 1200 miles on it ..I wonder how long it will last this time ?