Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need someone to explain how pulleys work in SP 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need someone to explain how pulleys work in SP 500

I took of the pulley cover too see why the bike wants to keep going when I am at a idle.I blew it out there was a lot of dust..But that didn't help.
The pulleys seem to be moving ok .The front moves in when it's reved and the back one opens up letting the belt move down inside it..And when you let off it closes back up.
Only two things I could see that it could be. One : that the belt is to tight at idle because the back pulley is closing too much and putting too much tension on the belt.
Two:the pulleys are out alignment causing the belt to press on the side of the front pulley , Looking at this at idle the belt was touching the back side of the front pulley and a small space from the front side..Is this normal ?
Does the back pulley work on the same principle as the front ? What controls the in and out movement of the back pulley ? If you need to use shims to align the pulleys which pulley do the shims go behind ?
I am on vaction this week and don't want to have the bike tied up at the shop..if i could fix this my self..with the members of the fourm help of course..
Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You are about right on how the clutch works. The rear opens up from the tension of belt when it goes up on the frunt clutch. There is a spring int eh middle of the rear that determines how quick or how slow to open. First off what are your rpm's set at? Too high rpm will make it creep. There are shims between the rear clutch halves that determine where the belt starts out. Clutch alignment will also make it creep. I would check rpm's first. A worn primary spring can make it creep. There are alot of variables that make it creep and any one of them will do it.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2many, we already told him in another post to lower his rpms. he said it didnt help.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Range Rover

I checked the idle it's low don't think that's the problem..thanks for the rely..
I found a site with a good explanation pictures and everything..if interested go here
Sounds to to hard for me to do

Replace belt and cluch info

Old 09-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

The front and rear cluthes act like a 10 speed bicycle. When the front "pulley" is small and the rear is large, this is like 1st gear on a bicycle. The front closes from centrifical force due to RPM's. The rear opens from centrifical force from wheel speed. At top speed the front is large and the back is small just like a 10 speed.

Hope this helps. Sometimes it helps to know the theory of operation. You have to know what is normal before you can figure out what is abnormal.

I would not worry about the back clutch. If it were sticking, than the clutches would be wider and the belt should be too loose. You don't have that. So maybe the front clutch is sticking and not seperating all the way. This would cause the belt to have too much tension at idle. Thus creeping. I am not 100% positive, but I think at idle the belt should not touch the front clutch "smooth angled pieces"!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

HOTDOG check this out. look at the bottom of the sheave/pulley if its worn and not in a straight line with the rest of the pulley it will let the belt ride over a notch and cause drag. you should have a belt with groves on it to match the grooves down in the botttom of the clutch. also you shouldnt have a big gap between the outer pulley and the belt about an 1/8 of an inch i think. mine did the same thing a new belt only helped for a while. if yours is worn as bad as mine was replace the clutch assy. i did and its been ok all summer.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

Hot dog do a search on this subject ……….or search my posts Zbart1
It has been discussed here many times.

The bottom line is ………at about 1000 miles the front sheaves wear out and the belt rides to the side out of the grooves it’s designed to ride in……….you can sometimes shim it for a short term fix ………………but if you want to solve the problem ……REPLACE THE CLUTCH

There are other causes ……..high idle ………engine mounts …….and broken springs
But I will bet you a soda pop you will end up doing this… REPLACE THE CLUTCH

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

At 1000 miles the Sheeves wear out? I have owned 3 Polaris machines, (one of them a ranger) and ride with folks that have several thousand miles on them. The only reason the sheeves would wear out is bad alignment/deflection.

I and almost everyone who owns a Polaris machine eventually experiences the creeping problem, 85% of the time it is traced back to high Idle (which you say you have already checked) or belt alignment.
Im betting money your alignment is off, which can be fixed by simply putting a shim or two BEHIND the secondary to get it back in spec.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ktmguy70
At 1000 miles the Sheeves wear out? I have owned 3 Polaris machines, (one of them a ranger) and ride with folks that have several thousand miles on them. The only reason the sheeves would wear out is bad alignment/deflection.

I and almost everyone who owns a Polaris machine eventually experiences the creeping problem, 85% of the time it is traced back to high Idle (which you say you have already checked) or belt alignment.
Im betting money your alignment is off, which can be fixed by simply putting a shim or two BEHIND the secondary to get it back in spec.
Does sound like a alignment problem. A shim or two behind the secondary......

Old 09-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

mine had 3500 miles on it before i replaced it. and alot of time i was dragging logs or pushing dirt. gravlel, and snow. not counting all the riding.

Quick Reply: Need someone to explain how pulleys work in SP 500