Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Teaching the Wife!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teaching the Wife!!

Well this bike is for me but i figured she would be able to handle it. I guess will just have to see how things go after some more practice. If it is somthing she is realy interested in then I will enroll her in a ATV safty course. I took the course back when I was about 7 years old, i may take it to just to refreh my memory a bit. Thanks for the input though guys its greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hi: Buy your wife a 94 (or around there year) bayou 220, its a great first time owners machine. NO clucth lever but you still need to use foot shifter. Light wieght and easy to ride and best of all it has reverse and you can pick up a good used one for under 1k. These machines also kick but on the ice raceing non-studded of cousrse with the right tires that is. They steer feather light no kidding, also makes a great kids machine if you have any or plan on any down the road, or grand kids.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Ya mabye but I realy don't think she could even handle having to shift quite yet. She realy needs somthing that is automatic so the only thing that comes to mind is a Trail Blazer, less power, no 4x4 and a bit lighter. It will be awhile before that though I want to get her somewhat confortable on what we got now. I mean mabye its somthing she is not interested but she asked me to take her so that is a good indication she would like to try. But then again mabye she doesn't want to because i no she is plenty strong to steer the machine. I mean some of the people she works with weigh over 100 pounds and she has to pick them up. I would hope if she can do that she can steer the quad. I also work at the same place but i only have one consumer and he is around 120-130, myself I way in around 145 so I pick somthing up that is nearly my own body weight, might not sound to hard but when you have to set him in and lift him out of the shower it gets very tough, specialy when he is all wet along with the floor and the tub. Hopefully she gets used to it and it can become somthing we both enjoy. Only time will tell though

Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, but just because she can man-handle some old man, doesn't mean she's got the right muscles in the right places. It's funny when I see someone at work who works out (and could lift more than me, even if I lifted.) and they struggle moving a transformer or something. I grew up working and can lift and/or maneuver heavy things better than quite a few vain people I've worked with who work out every day. But then again, I'd toss that 120-130# consumer around like a rag doll!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL

Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

See thats the thing its all fine and dandy picking stuff like that up, but he is a person and a very sesitive one at that, he has cebral paulsy and his left side hip is only connected by skin and muscle totaly out of socket, making him extremly sensitive. So picking him up you have to move very slow same thing with walking and a wet body is like a wet bar of soap extremly slippery. Its not anything like lifting a peice of machinery or anything along those lines.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I was just teasing you on that part, that's why I put [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]LOL after. My point was that someone, like your wife, can be strong doing something like her job, but then steering your quad may be a group of muscles she doesn't use that much, or at least not at that angle. She may also only be pulling on one end of the bars, or only pushing. Maybe you need to point out to her that it's easier if she pulls one side and pushes the other. She may not be using her right hand very much either if she's trying to control the throttle too. I'm sure she'll be fine after a while.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

Ya I think she will get the hang of it and I definatly see were your coming from mabye she just needs to devolpe a little muscle in whatever parts you use to stear a quad lol. As far on the point on steering i kinda asumed she new that but i will definatly point it out just incase.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

It is amazing how many things you'll assume other people know, and it's often funny when you see the results of their concepts of common sense. I am a licensed electrican, and part of running a job, or having an apprentice in service, is to train the apprentice. Man it's funny what you can tell them and they'll believe and it's even funnier when you tell them to do something that you assume they know how to do and find the results. All though it does suck when you're standing on the top of a ten foot ladder tying in a circuit live, and it blows up in your face because they accidentlly tie the wrong wires together.
Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is I never assume anything anymore, as far as what may seem pretty simple. Good luck getting your wife into this, I'm hoping to get my wife into it too. She has ridden mine and does pretty good, for a girl!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]