Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EBS or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000 | 02:12 AM
jam
|
Weekend Warrior

Does Polaris's EBS system worth the extra money, What are the pros and cons of this system? Is it true if you buy a new machine they will credit you for the standard clutch? Will a performance clutch work with EBS?

Old 12-08-2000 | 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

i have a grizzly , but i love ebs, i hardly ever use the brakes when coming to a stop except at the very end, going down hills i can crawl down the steep stuff with out using the brakes, for me personally i wouldnt go without it on an auto matic atv

Old 12-08-2000 | 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

There are no cons at all to EBS and all pros, best way to tell is drive one without it then drive one with it. I could not believe the diference.

Old 12-08-2000 | 09:25 AM
jam
|
Weekend Warrior

Will the EBS work on a Xplorer 400? Isit true its not as effective on a 2-stroke?

Old 12-08-2000 | 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

EBS will work with the two-stroke it will take off your topend speed. But it will work.

Old 12-08-2000 | 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Sportsman 500 with EBS and a Scrambler 500 without. The EBS is nice and makes for a real nice ride most of the time. On most outings the brakes are rarely used. But, if you decend steep snow or mud covered hills, the EBS equiped machines are trickier to control. On many occasions, I've decended down steep snow cover hills, (like tonight when posting my property), the back end is trying to brake and will "skid" because gravity overcomes traction. The same will occur in mud. Its not uncontrolable, but on a very steep incline, sometimes the rear will slide left or right and give an uncomfortable feeling. Its like stomping on the rear brakes while going down a hill. The only way to prevent this on these ocassions is to "goose" the throttle which depending on conditions, may be a problem. I would still recommend it, but until familar, be careful. You can't just freewheel down steep hills like a non-EBS machine.
Now, if someone could come up with an electronic selectable (on-off) EBS that would be really useful.

Take care and good luck

Old 12-08-2000 | 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard of the rear end sliding around from only a few folks.I even did everything I could think of to make this happen to me,the rear end would not swing around for me,so I cant comment on that being a EBS problem.

I had EBS on my 99 Sportsman,I liked it SO much that I also had it installed on my 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4.It works excellant on it to.The dealer gave me 150$ credit for my non EBS clutch,and charged me 350$ for adding EBS to the Xplorer.My total cost was really 200$ after deducting the 150$ credit for the stock clutching.I dont think I ever want to be without EBS,its great,
Bill

Old 12-08-2000 | 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

The EBS works great on the 400? I've been told "don't waste your money putting it on a 2 stroke". Do you think it would work as well on the 250 4X4? What about in high range? How steep of hills are you going down? Oh, and I have also heard people say it kills performance. True or not?

Old 12-08-2000 | 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Some say not to waste your money installing EBS on a 2 stroke?I respectfully disagree!
The EBS does not work as good on my Xplorer as it did the Sportsman,however,it still does work EXCELLANT,especially when descending a long/steep decline in LOW range.High range is not nearly as effective as low range when using the EBS.Low range really made the EBS work exceptionally well on either my 4 stroke or 2 stroke 4x4 quads.

Does it take away from the quads performance?I have presented this question to 3 differant Polaris mechanics in my area,ALL 3 agree that it does nothing to affect the quads top end or performance.Does that mean I agree with them?Hardly!It simple means that I am no expert in this area and im not certain.I have heard from others in here that it does hurt the performance,but my Xplorer ROCKS.I can say that I am totally thrilled with the performance of my Xplorer,with or without the EBS,this quad kicks some booty,
Bill

Old 12-09-2000 | 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

As stated by racerX the backend will slide some when descending a really steep hill especially if it's a little wet. To remedy this use the technique of engaging all four wheels as stated in earlier posts. It really does work great. If anyone needs an explanation how to do this let me know.