Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

phoenix problem, blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phoenix problem, blowing fuses

Hi guys,
My wifes phoenix keeps blowing fuses. Every time you swap in a new fuse it will start once & keep running, but as soon as it stalls or you turn it off the starter won't turn, check the fuse again & it's blown again, seems to be intermittent though as sometimes it fires right up again, could this be a starter solenoid problem, any clues ?

Old 11-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it either has a grounding out problem or surge of too much power feeding thru to blow the fuse. check to make suree the battery up through the starter cables,wires arent grounded out by being chaffed or rubbing somewhere.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Stendori I'll try that. Actually makes sense since I came out this morning & tried to start it & discovered the battery had gone flat overnight, the fuse was still intact though. I've already replaced the ignition switch thinking that was at fault but problem still persists. I'll try inspecting the loom when I get some spare time.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Mine did the same thing , while stuck in the woods I did the *emergency fuse trick with cigarette cellophane* this was working till the regulator rectifier started rolling smoke . My guess is you have a bad regulator rectifier like I did . Notice when looking for parts the 2006 model uses an updated regulator rectifier .

The rectifier part of the regulator rectifier unit is probably bad and causing the fuse blowing . A competant mechanic can check it for you with an ohm meter .

Rick Ritter

Old 11-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Rick,
If I remove the rectifier are there any telltale signs to tell me it's burned out ? Also do you think a 2006 replacement would plug straight in, as my brother's wife has a 2006 model & it definitely revs higher than my wifes 05, you know how competitive wives can be. lol.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

te rectifier should be the cause of the dead battery though. its job is to regualte the amount of voltage being feed thru the system and battery. if it messes up it could over charge and blow fuses and even the battery. i dont think(not 100% sure) but i dont beleave w/ the bike off the rec. would be at all active. just my 2 cents.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,
I took the rectifier out for a look & found that the waxy stuff on the back has started melting & running down onto the mounting bracket, I guess that means it's fried ? I wonder if drilling a large hole in the middle of that bkt would prevent future overheating after I replace the rec. as currently it's just a flat plate with nowhere for the heat to escape. Any further thoughts ?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I believe the Reg/rect from an `06 will plug right in - it is designed to cool better .

The `06 CDI will work - but it is the over ride botton will not work correctly - I have not had the time to make mine work right but It may be doable (refering to over ride operation) .

Rick Ritter

Old 11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx Rick,

I presume you mean the reverse override switch ? So have you actually fitted the 06 rec. to your phoenix ?
BTW how's the performance mods coming, have you tested them yet ?