Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Gorilla's givin me fits!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gorilla's givin me fits!

I am trying to put my new axles in. So far both fronts are tore off and I can't get the new Gorilla's to go into the hub far enough on either side. They go into the splined area of the hub just fine, but when the shoulder of the axle starts to enter the hub it stops immediately. These are definately the fronts and not the rears. The rears are obviously larger diameter. It looks like there is not much material stopping it. I took a brake cylinder hone and tried to "open" the hub hole some. It worked a little, but I would be there all day just to do one. I need to do at least 2. That is, if the rears don't give me trouble too! I did NOT enlarge it too much to cause any damage if I were to put the stockers back in. I was wondering if you guys with these Gorilla's had any trouble. I got these axles from my Polaris dealer, they are in plain white boxes with Sharpie marker writing, '05 700 front and '05 700 rear. No legit part number or tag on the box. Is this normal too? I have no way to reference the p/n. Nothing that I have, has the Gorilla p/n on it! Thanks in advance!

The inboard goes in just fine!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

One other thought, my buddy got round stickers last year with 2 axles and again last week with the other 2 axles. Mine are rectangle, I wonder if these have been on the shelf for a long time, or a short time. I e-mailed Gorilla AND left a voice message, waiting impatiently!

Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

I talked with a Gorilla tech, he authorized me to polish the shaft with emery cloth. I figured the slight honing would fix it, but oh well. I didn't want to "touch" the shafts incase they had to go back. He said, this is a RARE case. I assured him that if something wierd is going to happen, it will be on MY quad. I told him that it is common for RARE things to happen to my stuff! LOL!!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Let us know how this turns out.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah well, I emery clothed one axle for about 20 mins. It goes in about a 1/3rd now. I quit, I called the dealer and he is overnighting me a new front pair. The rears go in just fine. Now, I can't even get the rear axles pulled frm the differential. I pulled,pryed,yanked, cussed and een broke a screw driver, still no go! Watch tomorrow, they will probably pop right out. I am going to by a mini wrecking bar,and maybe I can pound the short end between the inboard and diff. Then wiggle the bar back and forth!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget us; I want to see this to the end!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

The only way I have ever been able to get them out if to keep jerking on them. Slide the axle all the way in and jerk it back out as hard as you can. You may have to do this several times as fast as you can untill it pulls out.

I know a guy who broke his gear case by trying to pry the axle out with a pry bar.

If you can get one side out the other side is no problem. The piece in the gear case the axles run in is hollow. After you get one side out you can go through the opening and knock the other side out.

And make sure you grease the axle splines well.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, breaking the diff is something that I was watching for as well. I will put MUCH never seize on it on installaton! Get this, I talked to Gorilla again this morning, because excessive emery cloth action is not getting it. I got the old, "Never had a fitment problem with the 700's before!" Overnighting me new axles is not an option. My dealer will get me some damn axles tomorrow, or I'll have to return these axles and get them from LA Ramp, there normal shipping is 3 days, UPS. I understand La Ramp gets them from Gorilla as well, but Karen at La Ramp is all abut customer service. It must be nice selling products for $350 and not standing behind their product when it doesn't even fit. Basically, they told me to F_ck myself and wait for another week, of normal shiping. No, No, I already waited a week for the first ones. Somebody needs to make ths right. And do it tomorrow!

Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I must congratulate you - you win the grand prize !

I have never seen anyone ever in this big of a rush to destroy an ATV by pounding it to death in mud holes .

Relax - wait on the axles - maybe take in a movie and some bowling this weekend . :-)

Rick Ritter

Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Relax??? I'll do that when I get old. Dealer and Gorilla is splitting the overnight charge. Axles tomorrow. Good, good, good! If I were to wait, it would be 6 business days AGAIN. Thurs don't count(Turkey day), then sat/sun here. I'd be looking at next Thurs. That would be plain unsatistifactory.

Quick Reply: New Gorilla's givin me fits!