Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Scrambler X upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Scrambler X upgrades

Newby to the site here. I see that you have a lot of good info.

I have recently aquired a 02' Scrambler 400 (X). It had 39 hrs total on it with 1 previous owner. I actually put 10 of those 39 hrs on it while he had it. It really is in pristine condition. It is a good machine and I believe will be perfect for my needs plus I only gave him $2000 for it.

I want more power out of it. I am fairly content with it now but I love to push the envelope. I am not a newby to quads but this is my first Polaris. I know that to get my power fix I can just ride my CRF450R but I would like to get more (reliable) power out of this 400.

After a lot of reading and research it looks like I can get a lot of power for fairly cheap but I want something that I can take on a 50 mile trail ride in the middle of West Virginia and not worry that someone will have to tow me back out.

I have steered toward RCR because of his high recommendations on this site and others and have actually talked with him about my needs. I will probably order the Hpd pipe, clutch kit, head and carb mods from him after I get my kids Christmas bought. If I have any $$ left over.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

Nice bike I have the same one and so far I love it.. Im definatly getting most if not all my work and parts done by rick ritter....Im sure since u have done some reasearch you have heard of his work..Good luck and yes its quite easy to crank some more power out of these 400's...

http://rittercycle.com/polaris.htm

Old 11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks.

Even though I know that it is 90% rider and 10% bike; I would like to get the power up equal to a lightly tuned V-force or 700 Raptor. I do not know how far that I will have to go to get there but that is my goal for now. I am hoping that the pipe, head work, carb boring, boyesen rad valve (brand new off E-bay for $40), and clutch kit will get me there.

I am not looking to race it every weekend but I just want to know that the power is there if I need it.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the power you are wanting you will need to call Rick on the phone.The parts you mentioned will get you close but you will also need a good "trail port" on the cylinder,milled head,bigger carb(not just bored out) after all this you will need to get a cylinder girdle kit to save the cylder from breaking under all the power.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

I actually talked to Rick a little the other day and learned a lot. I am trying to not upgrade as far as the 39PWK and trail porting yet simply for fuel economy. A lot of times we go on 60-80 mile trail rides with only 87 pump available to refuel.

Feel free to correct me if I seem to offbase here but;
I saw were the stock V-force is putting out around 51 Hp. According to Aaen I will be at 50 Hp with the mods that I am planning on. The 39PWK carb should add 2-3 Hp. If I do the porting then I should be around 56-57 Hp. I found a 39PWK for $59 but I am unsure if it would work since it came off a 2 stroke bike. I think that I may buy it and change around the jetting just to save $200. I have not decided to take the risk or not yet.

I agree with you ftwflh, on the mods needed to outdo a modded V-force. I am just unsure if I really need them or not for my riding.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

A pipe jetting and clutch kit will make you smile aka RcR stage 1 kit

Old 11-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

theres unfortunately more to it then, just output becuase of drive differences between the polaris and the kawasaki. id honestly skip the head mod and see if rick would clean up your cylinder or give you some type of light porting(or get a trail port) it may take alittle longer to light but it will light. the 35.5 works well from a range prospective and is not horrible slower.

I ran with a piped V with pipe, 12 to 1 head, gears, 35.5 jetted real crisp air box mod and a well dialed in clutch. it came donw to whoever got the launch.

the 700 rappys are quite a bit faster then the V.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:56 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Not sure if I listed my mods or not but I think I'm as fast as you can get w/o going to race fuel. I have HPD trail port w/ cool head 12:1,w/ HPD race pipe, Aaen muffler (proper clutch is VERY important here to match very high rpm of pipe) lightened flywheel,V-Force reed cage,39 mm Kiehn(sp?)carb, UNI air filter. It didn't hurt I took of 50+lbs plus added suspension to make high speed more controlable. You will VERY quickly exceed the limits of stock suspension once you make major engine mods & expect to go really fast in rough stuff/jumps etc. It would be SOOO fun for you if you were to do all this at once just for the HUGE rush you'll get, the 1st time you hold the throttle pinned for aout 3 seconds. You better be hanging completly over the heavy front end to keep it down. I did about 80% of all my mods & finished the day before the famous Chochronton poker run w/ 8000 quads w/o a test run. Dumb I know but it was a rush & yes I had problems but that's a different story. I've posted many times the quads I drag raced. This summer I'll be draging bikes. Up to 5th gear it's faster than a modified Banshee then it will fly by going about 85 or 90 ove a a 1/4 mile run. We ride all the time on 70 mile rides. I put on the small sixpack rear rack for a 2.5 gal can & hold w/ 2 ratchet ONLY type tie downs then I can jump & go as fast I want w/o worry. It works great. 6.5 gal of fuel takes me a long way & I ride wide open most of the time since I ride w/ race/sport type bikes & quads. I've been looking for anything that I would like as much & nothing I've seen can match the performance in a 4x4 package, nothing. You can PM me if you wish or email, I don't mind.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
YZ250F

Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

I am starting to think that I should wait until I can do it all at once. I would save on the carb boring vs. 39PWK and the clutching would come set up correctly instead of me having to buy extra parts later.

I just need to decide on how much "dependable" power that I want in the end.

I am either going to go with:

Option 1- the Hpd pipe with stock silencer, Rad valve, bored carb and clutching; @ $400 for 50-51Hp for a 12-13 Hp increase,

Option 2- RCR pipe/ silencer, Rad valve, 39PWK, trail porting, shaved head and clutching; $900 for @ 57-58 Hp for a 19-20 Hp increase.

BTW: the reason that I am going with a Boyesen Rad valve instead of a V-force is because I got a brand new one off e-bay for $40.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: 450trailrider
I am starting to think that I should wait until I can do it all at once. I would save on the carb boring vs. 39PWK and the clutching would come set up correctly instead of me having to buy extra parts later.

I just need to decide on how much "dependable" power that I want in the end.

I am either going to go with:

Option 1- the Hpd pipe with stock silencer, Rad valve, bored carb and clutching; @ $400 for 50-51Hp for a 12-13 Hp increase,

Option 2- RCR pipe/ silencer, Rad valve, 39PWK, trail porting, shaved head and clutching; $900 for @ 57-58 Hp for a 19-20 Hp increase.

BTW: the reason that I am going with a Boyesen Rad valve instead of a V-force is because I got a brand new one off e-bay for $40.

Rick can sub the HPD pipe in his kit for a little more cash.

Quick Reply: 400 Scrambler X upgrades