Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Polaris Owner have tire questions ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Polaris Owner have tire questions ...

thanks guys for the help

I can tell I will learn alot from this website

Old 12-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

We usually run 4-5psi also. Have Mud Lite XL's now which have about 1100 mi with no problems. Put about 900 mi. on another set with no punctures. Have 589's in back with no problems either. Have yet (cross fingers) to puncture a 6 ply tire, but went through a few sets of stock tires.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PXTs are 6-ply rated. There are three stars on it meaning 6-ply. Two stars mean 4-ply. If there's one star that means 2-ply. Use the ATV manufacturers reccomended pressure. It should be on a sticker on the fender. You shouldn't run the tire manufacturers maximum inflation pressure in any tire.

That goes for non-ATV tires too. My truck tire maximum pressure is 44 PSI but you're never supposed to put more than 40 pounds in them. My trailer tires have a maximum pressure of 80 pounds, but go bald in the middle if I put more than 30 PSI in them.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

The ITP Terracross Radials are very nice tires, 6 ply, and very tough. I have run them on my 500 and currently on my 800. Maxxis Bighorn radials are very nice too. Mud Light XTR are a better choice if you ride a lot of mud. I run 5 PSI mine all the time.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Chilly

If you decide to change out tires (most of us do, it's just a matter of when) have a look at Mudlites (6 ply rated). I've been happy with mine since I got them, over two years ago I think. We see a lot of rock and sticks, almost all our use is in the woods hauling out fence posts, etc. and there's no worse place for sticks than a cutting area.

Still, if you drive over a dead log with "stickers" pointing straight up, you run the risk of punctures, I'm pretty careful. We run about 4 pounds or a bit less, I think Honda calls for 3.6, but no one I know is that fussy.</end quote></div>

Every time I check the poll, "Who Still runs their Stock Tires??", it shows about <u>20%</u> replace their stock tires, not "most of us". Of the 3 that said yes, at least one person wasn't riding a Polaris, and his stock tires were really crappy. I put aftermarket tires on 1 of my quads and they were awesome, but it was a complete waste of money. Once in 11 years I found a place where I needed mud tires. My best friend has a set of Mud Lites for his Griz but never uses them. He keeps them in the trailer just in case he ever goes to that one spot sometime. It's been 4 years he hasn't tried it yet. He tried the Mud Lites for trail riding and took them back off after a short ride. Now he has three sets of wheels and tires. One worn out set, one set off a different vehicle for dirt, and one just in case he finds enough mud to use mud tires.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased a set of Maxxis Big Horns 6 ply I know they are a little higher than most tires but I love these tires and they are truly an aweseome tire the stock ones drove me nuts with all the holes I have put in them just ended up putting tubes in them.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JumboFrank.....I think Chilly ........When he was trying to say "MOST OF US"

He means that sooner or later everyone will need to change there tires(if they keep the Quad long enough)
And people will up-grade from stock...........Not just change them just to get the OEM off the Quad...
At least that's the way I read it.....LOL...Caper........

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

JumboFrank.....I think Chilly ........When he was trying to say "MOST OF US"

He means that sooner or later everyone will need to change there tires(if they keep the Quad long enough)

And people will up-grade from stock...........Not just change them just to get the OEM off the Quad...

At least that's the way I read it.....LOL...Caper........</end quote></div>

I guess it depends on how long you keep an ATV. I think it would take 15 years to wear them out if you aren't riding on pavement. I've never come close to wearing out a tire yet. After 4,000 miles on my first quad they looked like they were good for another 10,000 miles or more. I know a lot of people replace new tires just to get a different kind, like mud tires. I thought that was the people Chilly meant by "most of us", but you may be right, Caper.

Has anyone worn out a tire that wasn't from riding on pavement? I haven't, and none of my friends have as long as I've known them.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Depends on what a person considers as "worn out". For my cars, I will run them well into the tread wear indicators during the summer. For winter, I replace the tires before the tread is even half worn.

For my ATV, I have 500 miles on the Terracross Radials, and they are wearing very well. However, like the winter tires on my car, I will replace them before they get half way worn, because I don't want to suffer in tough riding conditions.

Most stock tires can't compare with a good aftermarket tire mostly because the tread depth (lug height) to start out with is only just over half as much. Polaris PXT and Carlisle ACT tires are better, but still don't perform as well as higher end aftermarket tires.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

see some different combo's and comments here: Tire/Wheel Combo's