Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Did I make a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a good choice?

I've read nothing but good things about them and for the simple reason my wife will not learn to use a clutch I bought her a 2007 Scrambler 500. We picked it up Saturday and messed around a bit on the property and man thi bike's got some torque. I've yet to bury the throttle on it as it's "too new" and it's got great low end power. Maybe now she can keep up with my 400ex in the straights, Nah. Nonetheless it seems like a very sturdy machine and there are many aftermarket mods. I think the most important mod right now is getting those Macpherson Struts up front covered with some skid plates. Anyone know any good parts websites for the Scrambler? It's rocky in Pennsy so I think she can benefit most from skids then maybe some nerfs or a real bumper. Any help, info, advise you all can give would be great. Oh yeah, do they make a service manual for these?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

There are many aftermarket parts available for engine and clutching. Start with Aaen, HSP, and Ritter.

So far I have not found any skid plates that I like; I believe I'll be making them. Haven't seen any nerf bars, but then again I have not looked for them. The front bumper is actually much stronger than it looks (I dropped my machine off the side of my truck, front bumper first onto frozen ground. Not a mark on the bumper). Aftermarket chassis parts are much harder to find then are for the 400ex.

The OEM clutch setup on these machines needs work. A clutch kit is highly recommended. There are alot for threads on this site that recommend clutch setups. Both of our '07s had way too much belt deflection from the factory, so I would suggest checking and adjusting that the first time the secondary comes off.

Polaris has a service manual that is available from the dealer. It contains all the info a mechanic might need, but falls short in troubleshooting tables for the backyard mechanics.

When we went looking for a machine for the girlfriend we found there is not a large selection for those who want a sport machine but are unwilling/unable to use a manual clutch. The Scrambler has a fun factor the Wolverine just cannot match, and the Renagade is just too much money for something I have to buy sight unseen and without the benifit of a test ride. We felt the Scrambler was the only choice. I were looking for one machine and left the dealer with two, I would say you made a good choice.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the skids Ebay always has some listed and very reasonable.DG makes about the best front bumper with its radiator guard.I wouldnt mess with the clutching for your wife unless she has a lot of nerve.You can mod these 500s and get them dialed in where your 400EX wont be able to hang with the Scrammy in anything but on the roads and sand.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I know this for a fact because I ride with some guys with 400s and they cant touch me on hills,mud or nasty trails.Now sand and roads is a differant story.
If you mod this one you will be getting another.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Personally I think the Scramblers are the best all around machine on the market.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

thanks guys! I don't think I'll be messing around with the clutch at all but a pipe maybe down the road. Thanks for the links and the good advise.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally posted by: bmxatv
thanks guys! I don't think I'll be messing around with the clutch at all but a pipe maybe down the road. Thanks for the links and the good advise.

CHICKEN..........you just dont want your wife out running you
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

scrammies are sweeeeeeeet, ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not worried about her out running me I honestly don't know enough about these things to be messing around with clutching. I'm going to assume you sacrifice some reliability of the machine when you start playing around with that stuff. I'd hate to be out on the trail and something fail because we mod'ed the thing. I want her to have fun and most of all make it back to the truck when were miles away. Like I said, maybe down the road when she's more comfy (I think the bike is plenty fast for her right now) with the bike and we both know how to wrench on it, not to mention we got a two year extended warranty with the bike that I'm sure would be void if we made that kind of mod correct? Unless I'm wrong........does the clutch mod sacrifice any reliability and or void warranty? I wanna say thanks FTWFLH but you called me chicken. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

I completely understand your position with the wife; same place I am at with the girlfriend.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really don't need a machine that will scare her, but she did need some help when in the deep mud. The OEM clutch setup is a bit too soft considering there is no low range.

I have installed a Polaris white primary spring, set the secondary to 2-2, and set the belt deflection on the girlfriends machine. This helps to get the wheels rotating in the mud and really helps the backshifting; without being too aggressive. No surprising wheelies and no belt slip. Cost $20.00. Concidering the service manual lists the part numbers of Polaris springs and weights, and tells you how to change the secondary setting and belt deflection I do not believe there should be an issue with warranty. Heck, my dealer thought the 07 Scambler had a white spring from the factory.

My Sportsman has had a aggressive clutch kit in it from new. The only clutch problem I on that machine was at 17,000 miles. I don't think clutching work really affects reliablity that much. The way the machine is rode and maintianed likely has more to do with reliablity than clutching mods do.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Quad Patrol

A simple cluytch mod wont hurt any reliabilty or you waranty.
Like mentioned the Polaris white spring or a Dalton blk/white and setting the secondary at 2-2
will make it run like it should(polaris under clutches them from the factory)plus the 2-2 setting with make it slow down faster and better on hills.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Trailblazer

PRM makes good protection for that bike bought my wife the 06 and put PRM skid plates front grill guard and 6 pack rack
http://www.prm-atv.com/

Quick Reply: Did I make a good choice?