Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why should I buy a Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 07:52 PM
jam
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, after reading yet another article(4 Wheel ATV Action)praising the attributes of the Yamaha Kodiak 400, I'm finding it harder to buy a Polaris Xplorer 400. Please help me come back from the dark side.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

Why don't you do an investigation, yourself? Go ride any and all that are out there, and come back and tell us why you bought a Polaris. If you believe a magazine article, why would you believe us. I don't mean to be mean, I just think you need to see for yourself. It is no more than what we did!
Good luck with your decision.

weetoots

Old 12-11-2000, 08:21 PM
jam
Weekend Warrior

Yes I was able to ride both machines. But I wasn't able to spend as much time on the machines as the "test riders" do. The obvious thing that I noticed was the Polaris had more power. Its the other things like handling, ride, ,4WD system, in actual riding situations that I need more info on.Its kinda hard to judge a machine riding it in a parking lot. I should add that the Xplorer would be about $700 less than the Kodiak.Is there an situation where the Xplorer would let me down?

Old 12-11-2000, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respectfully tell you your first mistake is buying into the info that these books give you.Some magazines have sponsers [one example-Dirt Wheels has Honda] and the Books you read are very partial to their sponsers machines when it comes to shoot outs,ect.I have even read LIES from these magazines before.

Secondly,
Alot of these magazine's [so called experts] test riders experiences are in the SAND and DUNE'S with racing quads.They have'nt the foggiest idea of what differant terrain's a 4x4 quad encounter's,or for that matter,how to even ride one correctly in the differant types of terrains they will encounter.

I am the very happy owner of a 2000 model 400cc 4x4 Polaris Xplorer,and im not about to tell you to buy one.Im suggesting you do your home work and check/test ride ALL the quads that interest you,ask about the experiences from other owners,than decide.I wish you the best of everything on your purchase,
HAPPY TRAILING,
Bill

Old 12-11-2000, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

You really could not go wrong with iether of these quads. I have personally never ridden a Xplorer, but I have ridden a Kodiak quite a bit, my Dad has a 2000.

Either of these that you choose, you will be giving up something for the gain of something else. The Xplorer has more power and probably a better ride. Also the true 4x4. You will give all that up for the shaft drive, no grease fittings, and the Yamaha name, if that means anything to you.

Again, with either one, your a winner.

Dave

Old 12-12-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Here's my view, I have a new ds650, a 2000 scrambler 400 2x4 and a buddy has a xplorer 400 4x4. I'm a 2stroker from way back and I worked on his from a deep mud hole issue that he had. After cleaning out the carb and under the piston of the mud that found it's way in. Replaced the piston and did the normal breakin of a wisco. It run with the scrambler moded out. From riding along side of this bike on many trips, it's the tops. It's easy to work on and startes very easy in all weather. Only one thing I don't like is the chain drive on the front wheels. Keep them ajusted or in revese it'll pop on ya. Good luck, and if you can - look into the Sportsman 500 - Great Quad!

Old 12-12-2000, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

You ask "why should I buy a Polaris?" I say "Why should we convince you to buy a Polaris?"
Both machines are nice, and I know which one I would rather have, but different strokes.....

Also, as others have pointed out, don't believe everything you read in those magazines. You need to go and check them out a little bit closer for yourself and weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Some folk like sealed bearings, others like me like to be able to grease my bearings to force out the crap that always finds it's way in. Also ask yourself which dealership do you like the best, it has an aweful lot to do with the overall experience of owning a quad. You may have problems with either quad and your going to want somebody to go to bat for you against the manufacturer if it comes down to it.

Old 12-12-2000, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Both are nice 400s but the new SP 400 may be the 400 Utility champ this year.The Xplorer is like the Yamaha Woulverine a true Sport/Utility machine.

Old 12-12-2000, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hey newdslover, the newer Xplorer 400's have only chain drive in the back, and shaft in front.

Old 12-12-2000, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

jam, the final deciding factor above all else should be YOURS. not a magazines or reviews or a test result. The advertising and commercial world comes up with all the criteria THEY think will make YOU buy THEIR quad. I am certain that reviews and tests are favorable to their likes, but are these people YOU? I have seen way to much 'mine is better than yours' comments on this forum, and it doesn't matter. Either your happy about your quad and telling folks about it, or your unhappy and bashing yours and others as well. The bottom line is, are you buying a quad to keep up with the Jones', or are you buying one that makes YOU happy? If your unhappy with your decision, its YOUR fault, not that of the readers or the test crew. Buy what suits YOU, not what the forum says. Unless your a wannabe who has no idea what you want and your scared of buying anything unless its recommended by someone with a name on paper, read what riders are saying about their machines. Ride each and every one of them in riding situations similar or the same as YOURS. I don't think I could buy a quad after a sand dune test in Arizona, when the closest sand I have is a mile long driveway to my house. Buy the quad that fits you, not the one that gets plastered across the front of magazines to please the masses, and manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Polaris?