Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman hard start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman hard start

Lately I've been having a problem with my 500 Sportsman. The first start of the day is brutal. I choke it, un choke it, throttle, no throttle, throttle wide open, etc. The starter will crank forever, but the quad won't start. I pulled the spark plug out to discover plenty of spark. I then hooked a booster up and wham! Immediate start. I rode all day with no problems starting until I put it on the trailer and got it home after about an hours travel time. Couldnt get it started to get it in the garage, had to push it uphill..whats that thing weigh anyway? Jeez...

Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have run into this once or twice , check you battery ,it may not be putting out enough amps, or your starter is drawing to much . that's where i would start to look.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try to start it w/ the pull cord. if it starts up w/ no problem then adqx2 may be right. was the plug wet when you pulled it out? is it getting gas, not enough ,too much? but if it started tight up w/ no problem then w/ the boost then chances are its form lack of volts. these are very spleeny when it comes to prpoer volts.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

I've been using a battery tender all season. Sounds like you may not have a good charge. as you are riding it's getting enough charge to maintain itself .
deerkiller

Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

So let me get this straight...The starter will crank and crank and crank yet the quad isnt getting enough voltage? YOu think this may be a battery or a coil? Plenty of spark when I checked during the no start period, the plug was NOt unusually wet. I like the idea of the quad rechargind itself during the ride as we arent using headlights and such...You thnk the battery will hold enouhg charge to crank after a long period of time yet not have enough muscle to provide spark? Whats the procedure for checking the starter or the battery?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

my 01 sp 500 always had a hard time starting in the cold of indiana and michigan, never couldn't get it started thow. i know this isn't an answer for your question but i was currious about your 589's, did you have to put he 2" lift on it go get thows on or woudl i be able to fit em with my stock ride hight. thanks hdnvn

bowz

Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you try to hand start this w/ the pull cord?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Trailblazer

food 4 thought-do you have a dynojet carb kit/procom hot ignition,the dyno's carb kit<i use 1,not my favorite kit>can make it hard to start<there's mixed opion's on that>now i really like my procom hot ignition box-it make's starting easier.D.R.W.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies..I'm anxious to try the pull start method, I havnt had a chance as of yet. I'll keep you guys informed, all the advice is very helpful...Harry

Old 02-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Get this....I tried starting my 500 again today with the same results. crank, crank crank and nothing. I Pull started as instructed and the second pull, fired right up. Good advice. I tried it several more times to confirm that it wasnt a fluke, fires up every time. Where to next I wonder...new starter? Do you think its a short between the starter and the battery? Let me know, this forum has pulled me out of another mystery!

Quick Reply: Sportsman hard start