Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:00 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default AWD ???

(03 700) When in 2WD in the snow and I am spinning rear tires FAST is it possible for the front tires to engage? I was doing 2wd donuts in the snow and I think the front tires kicked in while in 2wd. Only when the rear tires were spinning fast. It only did it once though but I might have hit the switch. Just wondering if that is a common AWD problem with these Sportsmans as I have read ALOT of others. Is it a crappy design? There are tons of posts on the AWD problems. Should I sell my Polaris and buy something more reliable before anything breaks?

Old 02-15-2007 | 10:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default AWD ???

yea i would sell it and get something that dont break down like a horse in which you can just shoot it well it fails. lol. when did you change the hub fluid last?

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:20 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default AWD ???

probably 20 hours ago. I check it every ride. Its full and clean

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default AWD ???

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default AWD ???

i'm having probs with my awd, i know that my awd has kicked in unexpectedly when doing doughnuts in the snow.
What hub are you talking about ?transfer case?

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD ???

I know the 02 sp 700 was the first polaris to have the AWD engage in the front diff and they did have some problems with the design. Since then they have made some changes to solve the problems with engagement while in 2x4. Nothing you can do but be carefull. Once when my 02 700 was new I was spinning the rears on ice while the fronts were on solid ground. When the front diff engaged (while the swith was in 2x4) the plastic roller cage in the front diff was destroyed. Its a good design and when used correctly will last.

Not trying to scare you off of POLARIS but just my experience.

Old 02-16-2007 | 11:31 AM
Range Rover
Default AWD ???

I am having the same problem with my 06 500 w/less than 500mi. on it and my buddy 04.5 500 w/less than 400mi. this is a very big problem, mine will also disengage when in AWD, I have had for alittle over a year now and its not been abused, been on 3 rides and plowed snow one winter and already its junk, ITS NOT A VERY RELIABLE OR DEPENDABLE SYSTEM, I like the machine it self but I would never buy another one agian.
When it takes all 4 tires working to get you out there, its going to take all 4 working to get you back.

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default AWD ???

Yeah, maybe its time to sell and buy something else other than Polaris. If the plastic gage inside blows apart from engaging when it's not supposed to- How much does it cost to fix? Is it hard to fix yourself?

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:20 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default AWD ???

I have had my 03 700 for 5 months(1st Polaris) I like it but I have had a few stupid liitle things wrong and mine is MINT and very well taken care of. The plastic footwells break easy and cost $$$$. Ilike the AWD system but come on too many problems it seems like. What can u do to make it not engage AWD while in 2WD?(remember it only does it if the rear tires are spinning REALLY fast compared to the fronts.)

Old 02-16-2007 | 12:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default AWD ???

He SAshton, I have also had this problem. It means your cage inside your front wheel hub that is locking up sometimes is collapsing.. This could be a costly fix, but I took my out and grinding down the sides so the rollers ride nice and easy (Dont stick in one position)

I would have to say I know the most about Polaris ATV AWD front ends on the forum, I have worked on so many of them throughout the years..

If you want more help from me, just PM me anytimg brotha